30% Market Taxation

30% is quite a stiff price, since tickets were removed none of the prices besides for some shirts and pants have really dropped. It is infuriating that we have to spend our own money on a subscription to get more earnings yet we still get skimmed out of 30%! The tax shouldn’t be removed but lowered, and I understand that Devex is a thing and that R$ = $.

18 Likes

Just wait till you get to the real world! :smiley:

21 Likes

When you devex you get that 30% combined with the real world’s tax.

I’m okay with it so long as roblox uses their cut to expand the platform and attract more paying users to our games (and it looks like that’s exactly what they’re doing). A larger cut for developers would attract more developers though.

19 Likes

Or pay their employees. Forget expansion. Employees being payed are more important!

So what are you wanting? Lower tax? No tax? Roblox is just teaching you how you’re gonna lose money in the real word due to taxes.

13 Likes

Paying for the servers everyone gets for free is also a plausible explanation.

26 Likes

When you see your first paycheck you get that job at the McDonalds down the street you are going to be so pissed how much the government takes out.

5 Likes

I get wanting to get paid more, but its so easy to earn more on roblox than with a minimum wage job. At this point Im making 6-7 times more money on roblox than at my irl job for the same amount of hours or less. 30% tax isnt the end of the world, and I remember being a lmader back when it was changed from 10% to 25%

3 Likes

“The tax shouldn’t be removed but lowered”.

I have a job, I know what happens when tax season comes along.

I’ve thought about it more, and the market tax isn’t necessary to combat inflation anymore. Now it just makes it difficult to contract people to work on stuff. Another problem with market tax is rounding; It’s difficult to sell inexpensive products because the tax will round up to 50% or 100%. A few years ago the tax was lowered for tax day, so it can definitely be changed. I’d like to see the tax lowered to something reasonable like 25% or 10%, and the remaining fraction on purchases should be either rounded up, or combined between purchases.

Right now with market tax, the devex rate is practically $175 per 100k robux spent on your game.
100k robux is purchased for anywhere between $571 to $1100.
The developer’s cut is effectively between 15.9% and 30.6% of what the player spends.

We would need to account for server costs and how much is spent on obtaining new players through advertising, but roblox also sells catalog items and runs on-site ads as a source of revenue. Roblox has also been hiring a lot of new employees over the past year; hopefully this means more features and more players for our games.

With a regular job, pay is guaranteed. An independent roblox developer is paid based directly on how much revenue their game draws, which is a great business model, but requires a lot of time investment beforehand.

30% reaches apocalyptic levels for people making thousands of dollars through devex :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: Fixed link

14 Likes

I agree with you on the rounding thing, I think they way ROBLOX rounds things is bs. However, I think that 30% is the right number for the tax, it’s been working fine with devs making thousands for a couple years now. What devs who are making thousands of dollars through devex really need is the option to directly deposit their devex money into their bank account. Paypal are the real thief’s of the devex system.

1 Like

I agree with direct deposit, but paypal’s 2.9% fee still pales in comparison to the roblox market tax. Even 25% just seems less arbitrary in my opinion.

4 Likes

But at least the market tax is benefiting us in the long run if we stay with ROBLOX. The paypal fee just goes to PayPal.

1 Like

For me, 25% is easier math then 30%… Soooo I’ll go for 5% tax decrease!

6 Likes

Paypal and eBay are two different companies now <3

From reading this I think the best solution is 25% tax and round up everywhere we tax to give us that extra robuck.

6 Likes

This is what I want.

1 Like

That’s true, but it would be super apocalyptic levels for roblox. That’s thousands x100 for them. Not to paint roblox as evil, but I don’t imagine they are scrambling to lose out on 5% out of nowhere.

It’s a balance between roblox making enough to upkeep and grow, and developers earning enough to continue creating monetized games. The cash out rate increasing 2.5x caused a lot of developers to buckle down, take roblox seriously and create epic games (also great for PR). The guys at roblox have all of the stats and it’s ultimately up to them how they fine tune the economy here. At RDC16 we heard that top devs might be making 10 million dollars in the future; the most direct way to do this is to give developers a larger cut, but it may also mean roblox is going to use their cut to expand the platform.
The company and developers have a symbiotic relationship, and the percentages will cause roblox to grow in different ways.

2 Likes

Oh wow that’s abysmal on the lower end. I’m not sure I know any platforms where the cut is that low. I understand the need for cash for servers etc etc, but possibly getting a 15.9% cut is not great. It should be 30% minimum all the time.

1 Like

(Meanwhile NBC players have a 90% fee, rip)

3 Likes

Ultimately I don’t think it would hurt to remove it. Especially with tickets now gone. Could even bring the NBC tax down to like 50%, but maybe that’s too much of a change.