3D Import Recap Mar-Apr 2024

This topic was automatically opened after 10 minutes.

FYI the content-type MIME types for gltf are: model/gltf-binary and model/gltf+json for .glb and .gltf respectively!

The docs will be updated shortly

13 Likes

Absolutely love the communication on this product, your team is knocking it out of the park and I’ve started using the 3D importer because I have more confidence that it’ll be maintained with how frequent bugs are being fixed with it.

I found a fair use world map SVG file on Wikipedia that I brought into Blender and modified, then imported it into Roblox without any problems. It totalled to 254 individual objects and 391,561 tris total. The game will be focused around the world map and players running from one side to another to locate the country displayed on their screen so it was really important that I got a fairly accurate representation of the country’s generally agreed upon border/shape.

24 Likes

This was from a previous bug that was fixed a while ago; and I’d say it was the “weirdest” encounter, not really the “weirdest model”. It didn’t work as expected, but it’s all good now:

I respect the commitment to the 3d importer and communication about its development. Also, a bulk import would be much appreciated! :grin:

16 Likes

I want to import a non-avatar based Model with a Skeleton made in Blender. But I think ImportFbxRig does something. It does import it. But it creates a Root Part on its own, that is larger than the actual visible Model and all the Motor6D’s are connected to that Root Part. Meaning that I can’t import animations from Blender if I remove the oversized invisible Root Part, because then the offsets of Motor6D’s C0 and C1 are wrong.

7 Likes

Are there any plans to expand 3D importing (packages) to allow a better workflow of updating meshes with pre-existing materials and colors? A current workflow using the Roblox Integration for Blender add-on allows for seamless updating of meshes, but comes at the cost of losing any applied materials, colors, or textures in studio.

10 Likes

It looks like I can just scale the RootPart and I guess that works.

But I still have this problem.

What do I need to do, to import the test animation. For some reason, it’s not working.

I don’t know what I need to do. I’ve exported the .fbx and the keyframes are empty if I choose this:

I exported the .fbx with Bake Animations selected, and idk how many things, there’s still no keyframes.

Summary

And why does the Floor Grid move for this thing

But not for

I don’t understand.
It doesn’t make sense

Why does the Root Part have to be bigger for that not to happen… why

Edit: It was this

You can have the Root Part in any size, but it needs to apply to assembly rules…

8 Likes

Raise that polygon limit. We’re still waiting for it.

16 Likes

Great update! The glTF support and improved dragging behavior are awesome additions. :+1:

8 Likes

Unfortunately we haven’t been able to investigate that root part issue yet, this may be an issue with animations incoming as a whole as opposed to just the actively maintained 3D Importer. I’ll make a ticket with this feedback though and feel free to DM me the FBX file to repro the issue!

One thing is that ImportFbxRig is actually an older Lua API that uses different (and no longer maintained) FBX import code than the 3D Import tool. I recommend switching over to the 3D Importer if you can, and letting us know if you have a feature request or feedback for that tool.

4 Likes

I’m not too well-versed in animations to be able to address all these questions, apologies :bowing_man:
I’ll try to forward these thoughts to the relevant people, but some thoughts that might help in the meantime:

5 Likes

When will roblox increase the triangle limit per mesh? 20000 is pretty low. please increase the amount of polygons/triangles we can import

4 Likes

Changes are really felt every month, but today I discovered this (see screenshot), nothing serious, but I will report it anyway.

6 Likes

A new change i would love to see is a major overhaul to the error messages. This gives literally zero feedback on what went wrong as there is no info on the error codes for the mesh importer, you can’t even play the guessing game. Its a major annoyance

Adding a list on what each error means, or just changing the messages to be much more explanatory would be an excellent update

7 Likes

Are you importing the model with it?
I import a lot of FBX animations, and you need the model in the animation.
You can’t (at least from the times I’ve attempted) import just an animation.
It should be the animation and the model in the same FBX.

1 Like

I can’t make bug reports, but I import a LOT of animations. What they are asking about is the import in the animation editor, which is what I prefer to use since it works properly.

The animation import on the avatar quite often reverses the animations from the rig, so when you play the animation, it flips the model facing backward before playing it. It’s pretty much always been this way for me since the feature was added and I’ve imported dozens of animated rigs and had this problem with every one of them. All custom rigs, no R15 or anything like that.

So for me, the avatar importer for importing animations has been largely useless. I import the avatar, but then I have to take each of the animations and import them with the animation editor.

I’ve tried importing the model both backward and normal, then using the animations that would technically be correct, but that doesn’t work, I’m pretty sure all the movements are backward that way.

Not sure if it matters, but they’re animated in Maya 2023. I don’t really use Blender.

2 Likes

Oh no… My inventory was griefed

These don’t work though

The parts aren’t even named like that :thinking:

Is there a bot that does inventory clean-up service, by any chance? I did not expect not uploading to Roblox, it uploading animations to Roblox. :neutral_face:

It has to do with the Motor6D names and other stuff…

@tasavix maaaybe that could be a future improvement that could be done to the 3D Importer. To re-name Motor6D and etc. automatically

It looks like I have to rename the Cubes in Blender to the same name as the Bones specifically, because it’s Roblox :neutral_face:

2 Likes

Is there a function or a way where, instead of it all Uploading the Animations. I can get all the KeyframeSequences and put them in the Workspace instead, or something?

ImportFbxRig function doesn’t seem to do that, and I think it’s outdated, maybe should get deprecated.

4 Likes

errm actually we made some updates yo!!! :nerd_face:

2 Likes

I’ve been using the 3d importer more recently and noticed I can’t change collision groups in the menu that pops-up, rather I need to do that after importing. It might be a good quality of life thing to be able to set collision groups in the importer. It’s not a big thing, but yeah.