3D Importer [Full Release]

This is amazing! Great to see functions like this being added!

5 Likes

100% a right step into improving the quality of experience that every Developer has to go through. This’ll help a lot of us.

3 Likes

Great update, I really like the part where you can import multiple animations from one file, but is there a way to select several animation files and be able to import them all, but with only one mesh?

Also, a bit off topic, is there anything going on a Roblox in regards to being able to scale animations (the pose cframe positions, not rotations) at runtime?

Thanks

4 Likes

so a suggestion for this feature that’d really helpful. the option for the import not to be auto-added to your inventory. if you’re anything like me you’re gong to need to make edits to models and import groups of stuff multiple times but in the current auto-upload system it completely clogs your inventory making it harder to find older saves you made. yes you can hide stuff in your inventory but if you’re trying to overlay an old model could have to scroll through page after page till you get to it

4 Likes

If Roblox can increase texture size from 28MB, to 200MB for example that would be great; Many experiences will have the opportunity to have realism in their game using 4K/8K textures.

5 Likes

Please do not remove this plugin until you removed the redundant step of uploading a model to your profile/group, you will literally effectively remove my ability to upload custom avatars without unecessarrily cluttering the models tab under the group I am working on. We frequently update systems as models under the group and this would make that process super annoying, thanks :pray:

12 Likes

Yep we hear you, we will be reviewing our upload options to provide more flexibility and support more workflows!

Thank you for calling this out! We will factor this in to our review of upload options!

:+1:

5 Likes

I’ve personally been very interested in this issue. I spoke to quite a few people at RDC that also had this problem and I really think that Creators should never have to “worry” about asset IDs, the platform should just do the right thing for you every time.

Unfortunately, this is not the easiest problem to solve, but i believe it is possible.

To your earlier point, we will be working on providing configurations for the importer itself, this would let you define default behavior for the importer if you don’t like the defaults we currently have. One option that could make a lot of sense is to let you select if a certain type of node in the tree is unselected by default.

2 Likes

If you click on a mesh node, you can select the option “Ignore Vertex Colors” which should do what you want.

4 Likes

Brilliant stuff! Out of curiosity, is the mesh limit really 20,000 triangles? Whenever I tried batch uploading meshes for my game, I received a warning in studio telling me that the mesh exceeds the 10k triangle limit. How do I upload meshes that are 20,000 triangles?

3 Likes

Oh, this is nice. I was hoping you could add a button for Ignore Vertex Colors for the whole fbx rather than just one mesh. Some scenes have hundreds of different meshes, though—the same thing with that double-sided feature.

3 Likes

FInally now i don’t have to upload all of these as OBJ, it was a rough time to upload each parts for 12 min

3 Likes

Thanks I always wanted a powerful 3d importer like that. Just being able to preview the 3d model within Roblox Studio to see if it looks good without uploading it is a huge help for anyone modeling for Roblox.

By the way thats a thing that I feel that must be improved, being able to preview assets such as images and meshes before actually uploading. For images we can use the Local File Importer plugin, but that feels like hacking the system, and now we have a mesh previewer.

4 Likes

Now all we need is multiple textures support

7 Likes

That is why you bake the textures in Blender and even for Unity you have to bake the textures. But that would be cool if they can do that

4 Likes

There’s another way to upload 3D models to roblox (not just full meshes). Easy Mesh Importer - Roblox

2 Likes

Probably off-topic, but since there is an FBX, OBJ Importer. How about we also add an FBX Exporter that works like Unity’s?

1 Like

although this feature so far has been a great addition in many levels comparing it to the classic method of uploading through the avatar importer (custom rig one). i think right now is not the right time to deprecate it as it is a very great alternative incase of facing errors like what i’m about to show.

my biggest critique on the 3D importer is that unlike the “custom rig” importer. this 3D importer would straight up fully fail when one single mesh of an entire collection of meshs fails to upload. this is extremely bad for someone like me whos internet speed is not good and would take some time to upload an asset.

Screenshot_5643

The custom rig however has the ability to auto retry over and over again until it does successfully upload. and if it fails after all the retries it will just continue the processing and will print out which mesh was loaded and which did not. i have been trying the 3D importer today and the auto retry doesnt seem like its an existing feature unlike the custom rig importer.
and to be fair even if the auto retry is in. it is extremely bad for an upload to just fail when a single mesh is the reason of its failure.

Please reconsider the deprecation as it is impossible for someone like me to even upload a mesh if this kind of error becomes a standard thing

3 Likes

First, I posted this over in the Beta thread, and it might be unseen there. I suspect you saw it though, because my second point: animation behavior has completely changed today!

If there are NOT significant changes going on in the background, let me know. I have more to report! I’ll work around it for now.

2 Likes

Solved animation loading for 11/22! Workaround for anyone loading animations today:

Problem: The “first bone” animation data does not automatically “Publish to Roblox” from the Animation Editor. I suspect this is an old issue, as I had old workaraounds.

This is technically the “second bone” in blender, as the Importer turns the first bone into a part. The old avatar importer created the part, but did not delete the bone. I named the first bone “RootPart” to remind myself to never animate it.

Second bone is the new first bone.

Workaround: Edit the “first bone” animation data. I did this by turning on the curve editor and removing a few non-essential keyframes. After you edit the data, when you publish to roblox, the animation data is correctly saved!

Whew!

4 Likes