3D Importer Support for glTF Files [Beta]

Now THIS is gonna work very well for me

3 Likes

When I export my mesh as a gLTF file the textures do not apply correctly to the surface appearance color map. But when I upload the same mesh as an FBX file the textures upload with no issues.

5 Likes

Would love to know the answer to this too, as I am doing way too many loopholes just to get past the incompatibility of emission maps

3 Likes

Yup, exactly! As long as each individual mesh inside is less than the limit it will import as expected.

2 Likes

The importer converts meshes to our own internal representation, so there shouldn’t be any performance difference based on file format!

3 Likes

Yes! It’s something we’d really like to do now that we have gLTF import! We want to finish import functionality before we start on export so I don’t have a good timeline yet, but it’s on our radar.

Interesting, good to know that’s something there’s interest in. We don’t have any plans at the moment, but I think it would be good to support, I’ll look into what it would take.

There’s no performance difference, follow your heart!

Right now the engine doesn’t support emissive maps, so there’s not too much we can do on the import side to support them. What kind of emissive properties are you working with?

6 Likes

There should be no impact on performance, the importer converts all incoming data to our internal 3D format.

You should use the format that provides you the most value and/or you like the most. Unlike FBX, glTF is an open standard, and there are a ton of free open-source libraries in basically every programming language (have a gander). So if you feel like adding some custom tooling to your process glTF is probably the way to go!

Also if you use Blender, note that Blender’s FBX exporter is not build on the official FBX SDK provided by Autodesk. AFAIK Blender re-implemented their own FBX tooling because the FBX SDK is not open-source. This means that there may occasionally be some quirks when using FBX with Blender because they did their best to reimplement a closed standard. Mind you, the Blender team did a great job, and also we have been supporting FBX since 2016, so we already handle most of the edge-cases that come from Blender’s FBX implementation.

Summary:

• Use the format you prefer it has no impact on performance
  • If you care about supporting free open-source software use glTF
  • If you want to write custom tooling to enhance your 3D asset pipeline, probably use glTF
  • If all you care about is getting your stuff from Blender into studio, the format should not matter
6 Likes

I attached a photo for reference. The mesh on the left is the gLTF file and the mesh on the right is a FBX file. Both meshes have the same texture uploaded to the color map.

Just wondering if this will allow to import 3d meshes which contain multiple different parts and objects but keeping its individual texture, color, material… Instead of just merging all colours and materials together

The 3D Import tool has allowed this since the first beta version released in Fall 2021 :slight_smile:

Link here: 3D Importer | Roblox Creator Documentation

Would you be willing to DM me the glTF file so I can repo the issue?

2 Likes

the textures seem to always import as white regardless of the settings i used

the textures i use are within the same folder as the exported mesh

1 Like

Are you textures mapped using relative or absolute paths?

From the post above:

Known Issues
In this Beta release, the relative paths for texture files will fail to be found. The workaround for now is to use full paths to your texture files, or embedded files. We will address this limitation soon after this launch.

I would suggest trying to export with the textures embedded, this will consistently give you the best results. If you don’t feel like re-exporting, you can also manually select the textures from the UI, click on a texture node, then click the folder icon next to the texture path.

1 Like

Does the importing of glTF files properly support industry standard model instancing? For example, if I import a scene I do not get 32 different models of the same tree each with their own unique asset id like I have in the past with FBX files.

2 Likes

For now it behaves the same way as the current FBX import (I.e. each mesh instance will get its own ID regardless of if it’s a duplicate of another).
However, this is something we would like to improve on the future, and because glTF has a clear mesh instancing paradigm it should be totally possible. It’s very much on our minds and something we will try and do as soon as we get the time to!

3 Likes

Thanks, I appreciate the quick response. This is definitely something we have been wanting for some time and will really improve upon the import process. I also think this will make it easier for people to import premade scenes from popular 3rd party model vendors. Sadly right now the process of importing a complex scene is unusable as duplication of assets does not allow for gpu instancing and performance in a large scene is not good. :frowning:

Keep up the good work! You guys are awesome!

3 Likes

[FIXED] turns out gltf files exported from blender version 3.5.0 seem to be janky and will not detect texture files, exporting from blender version 3.0.1 fixed it

4 Likes

Is there any plan for the ability to import custom LODs? The current autogenerated LOD system often leaves a lot to be desired and for many models the LODs are completely unusable.

2 Likes

Will this help us better upload out creations from roblox to 3D printable files? (at the moment they tend to have a lot of missing triangles.)

1 Like

There is no such plan and likely never will be, sorry :frowning:

I can, however, confirm that there is significant active work on upgrading the LOD system. We are improving our LOD algorithms. And we are also investing in the ability to retroactively upgrade LODs of assets that were imported in the past. This will mean that in the future, as we continue to develop better algorithms everyone will benefit, even really old games/assets.

I cannot provide a timeline on any of the above it will take the time it needs to take, but people are working on this today.

2 Likes