FBX Exporting Option

I’d rather not have to resort to using external software such as ninjaripper to start exporting models.

5 Likes

It’s weird that you can upload a .FBX mesh but, you can’t export one out. I’ve actually stopped using Roblox meshes for this exact reason. Obj exports directly from studio are in fact a dice roll. Half the time, and I really do mean half, the object file that Roblox generates can’t actually be imported into Blender. It shows up as empty. At one point, I was trying to get a Roblox R15 character model as a reference into blender and it took me somewhere around 11 tries of doing the exact same thing to finally get one file to import correctly.

Any other engine (even the github ones with zero docs or sponsors) are able to correctly export obj and fbx meshes out of their respective environments. Roblox, for some odd reason, can’t. It’s weird that they have these grand visions of “we’ll be the next AAA game engine in the next year” at almost every RDC and to this day, you can’t export any other file type other than object file and the max resolution to any image has to be 1024x1024.

It’s laughable because, that’s all we really can do until someone stumbles across this as makes it a reality. It’s been almost 3 years.

16 Likes

It’s now been 3 years since Roblox was looking into .FBX exporting and unless Roblox got lost in a metaverse labyrinth I’m not sure what’s taking so long.

We now have:

• A FBX Importer with PBR material importing support.
  • Layered Clothing
  • Layered Hair
  • PBR Materials
  • Skinned Meshes

We don’t have:

• An FBX exporter that can export any of those without losing skinning data.

I understand that this feature isn’t priority however it’s severely affecting the rendering community.

22 Likes

Where is it then? It’s been years and yet OBJ files are literally broken when uploading to blender as they become see through. Not only that but we also have to remake any rigs exported.

3 Likes

No clue why this would take so long to implement, it would save so much time and fix a lot of the issues I have with exporting from Roblox

2 Likes

I really wish this could be revived, there has currently been no replies from current roblox employees, and having fbx support instead of obj or even as a 2nd option would be met with great satisfaction from the roblox development community.

3 Likes

Also, we have Dynamic Heads/facial animations, which are awesome…but if you export one of them as an OBJ, the face loses its expression and looks like “:neutral_face:”.

This means that it’s impossible to use them in GFX, unless it’s a custom head that the creator made (and can therefore replace the head with in Blender).

EDIT: I have a feeling someone will say that it’s not even possible to export one of these heads with an expression because it immediately resets to its default state when you click on the explorer list (defocusing Animation Editor). Well, that’s true, but I can export posed characters if I pose them using Moon Animator then export the character model without closing that editor. If that exports the pose, I don’t see why it can’t also export the deformed head mesh too.

7 Likes

It’s really frustrating how roblox has still not provided a way for developers to export things as .fbx. With all of these updates about mesh deformation, realistic faces, and improved animations and yet there is still no way to export as .fbx.

I really hope Roblox starts working on this feauture as it is really needed.

6 Likes

This needs to happen. It’s been 4 years, and this is actively causing problems. Having EVERY part be merged into one is annoying, but that’s not the worst issue. My main issue is that the exporter downscaling character textures. When the size limit for them is 1024x1024 (which also needs to change), texture’s being too big isn’t an issue.

3 Likes

4 years later and no .fbx lol…

For all the changes and advances Roblox studio has gone through somehow its most essential creative features remain so primitive.

1 Like

Whelp, they mentioned to me that they are going to be supporting more file format exports soon-ish, I’m guessing getting the importing to work is framework stuff.

1 Like

they also need to add the .gLTF exporting option as we need the .FBX option as they only have a legacy file named .OBJ, Blender classifies it as “Legacy”

1 Like

.obj is a pretty widely supported format type that holds mesh structure and mapping data, and blender has both legacy and supported import options for it, though it’s not optimal for many much more complex modeling features.

1 Like

Dream come true if this is real

1 Like

It’s real. 3D Importer Support for glTF Files [Beta] - #34 by OriginalSleepyhead

1 Like

So uh… it’s 2023, still no .fbx export option. Roblox please add this to your roadmap.

6 Likes

maybe if I say something offensive roblox will finally take note of this post again. lmao

4 Likes

This is still needed, we’re in 2024 and almost every other game engine has a feature to make this possible.

2 Likes

well well well, its 2024. Not out yet lol

I swear the lack of any of this is like my worst nightmare. I am tired of doing this manually. Having to lose bone data, skin data, material data, basically anything useful. It’s not a great workflow. It takes me hours. Every single time, I come back to this post wondering what they were thinking.

Lots of people will always say “oh every single platform has X” and you know what, this time those people are right. That’s saying a lot. I echo basically everyone else in here. It’s great that you gave us skinned meshes, PBR and all that fun stuff but, to not be able to use it outside of Roblox tools (which suck) is unreal.

What’s worse is that I am stuck with the following:

• Material Manager (can’t provide me options like blender can; forget about comparing this to substance)
  • Animation Editor (great for simple things, absolutely horrendous for anything past that)
  • Rig Editor (gives me a skinned mesh option, doesn’t let me export FBX)
  • Can’t edit vertices, lines, faces… Basic mesh operations are as-is. Blender, Maya, etc are the only alternatives and you can’t even use 1/2 of the features they provide

State of base-tooling is at-best 2016. There’s some solutions out there. A lot outdated but, really, they’re just band-aid solutions to poor engineer decisions that have yet to be addressed. That in itself, is not a solution.

Source: Went on a crazy bender with RThro to embrace it and give it a try. Banged my head against a wall for a couple hours and gave up. The lack of support in terms of figuring out what to do with is astonishing at best.

3 Likes