3D Layered Clothing is Now Available!

Ah, I didn’t know that was R15 LOL

R6 = 6 joints

R15 = 15 joints

Technically speaking, R6 doesn’t have an aesthetic. It’s just defined by how many joints the rig has.

This is still R6

5 Likes

Correct! And as I stated in an earlier post, if you want to make an R15 rig look and feel like an R6 rig, you can just choose to not animate any of the extra joints (elbows/knees/wrists/ankles/etc). Doing this will keep the “classic” Roblox aesthetic while also granting you access to:

There’s zero downside to using R15 even if you want the classic aesthetic because you can simply opt-out of using the more realistic features. That’s why Roblox is not going to waste time supporting all these features for R6: there’d simply be no point.

11 Likes

Thi best update im wating for Shirt and pant

6 Likes

Oh! Now that’s smart. :brain:

The only two downsides I can think of are the strange “feet” and “hands” that clip if you animate them poorly and that it’s harder to animate with the greater amount of joints.

Sorry about the misunderstanding. It just looked like you were throwing R6 under a bus. :stuck_out_tongue:

10 Likes

I have a question!

Will Layered clothing come to the catalog? And when will it be available to the catalog? (At least an Estimate).

4 Likes

And if you don’t like the extra visible joints I’m sure Dogu15 and other S15 rigs will update the rig to work properly with Cage Deformation

Although we will have to wait till he makes the WireFrame I think it is called for the rig

7 Likes

Very nice but it looks like all torsos are not updated to fit with clothes !

My rectangular torso can be seen through the jacket!

6 Likes

um, you can actually still used layered clothing with R6 you know, after all roblox is a game engine i’m sure roblox has made sure 3D layered clothing can be applicable on just about ANYTHING

4 Likes

No you cannot. R6 rigs do not support any of the new avatar features. This is nothing new. I don’t know what gave you the idea that they did. Mesh deformation is a REQUIREMENT for layered clothing to work, and R6 will literally never support that.

13 Likes

Nope you can’t

8 Likes

I think it might be both. But if it was to be one it would probably be R15

Edit: I just saw some other posts. It’s only for R15

3 Likes

oh i don’t mean in catalog, i meant in your own game in studio, the skinned mesh system itself is easily supportable for R6 so long as you replace/add onto the default 6 limbs with mesh versions to allow for clothing to wrap

nothing’s stopping a developer on roblox studio from being able to support it if they want to

3 Likes

Alright, it’s just that I (and I’m confident others) have felt a bit lost on how skinned meshes work, and to release a feature on top of it makes it feel like I’m falling even further behind.

Seems like the only ones who are able to try these new features are those that are willing to pull their hair out trying to make it work. I already spent two stressful weeks in the past figuring out just how the regular R15 Avatar Importer works because the Developer Hub page on it leaves out crucial information or assumes that you know certain things. This is a pattern I’ve noticed with a lot of documentation.

Not everyone is going to have it so easily “click” on how these features work or go together. Even if they view example places, it may not be obvious how they get to that point.

7 Likes

It’s definitely a big leap, and it’s clearly got potential, but I’m not sure about how much consideration has gone into the typical Roblox creator, i.e. I’m fairly sure most people are not particularly adept at 3D-modelling creases into a sleeve with Blender.

In my opinion, I think mixing the new and old might be good, like having a few basic 3D items sold by, for example, Roblox, which can be “expanded” by having retextures by other designers for sale, that can be applied to it. If the first purchase is a 3D hoodie for 50 robux, then someone buys 5 textures for 10 robux, it doubles its economic value: the potential for a royalty to the original 3D modeller, variety/choice for players, and an easily accessible means for many more designers (like there is currently).

Here’s a mockup and scope that mixing old and new could appeal to.

TL;DR
Looks interesting, possibly limited suppliers, good potential. There are still a lot more R6/R15 around that Rthro. Maybe making retextures an official thing could be something to look into.

17 Likes

where can I get the place to test them?

5 Likes

maybe or maybe not who knows lol

4 Likes

When you load the place file up in runtime there’s a button in the top left you can press to test it in the avatar editor

6 Likes

It appears that certain packages (such as the crimson claw package) do not work properly with some shirts.

This issue is fairly recent, last week the Roblox t-shirt was wrapping around my avatar’s waist just fine.

15 Likes

yoooo iwas waiting for that :woozy_face: ihope they add WrapTarget to parts so can they lay on other parts on roblox studio

3 Likes

But one thing if in the future they believe that they will be able to make 3D clothing for the UGC?

8 Likes