Hello, this is a thread about my Dogu15 rig, which is open sourced.
Originally it was just a normal rig without deform. Once it came out, I tried to master the art of deformation.
It officially became a Mesh Deform R15 rig with a huge success.
Because of my last year of college, this project was on a small ‘hiatus’. But hey! I’m done now! I might improve this once again.
It will be used in my upcoming projects for aesthetic and texturing reasons!
NOTE: It’s worth noting that the rig in this gif has slight gap issues - slightly noticeable in the stomach area. It’s fixed in the current version.
Dogu15 rig fixes few flaws the original R15 1.0 had.
- It’s meant to replicate R6’s smoothness and triangular bevels, which R15 1.0 for some reason doesn’t have.
- It fixes UV map problems of the original R15 1.0 - no more “OH GOD MY KNEE LOOKS HORRIBLE WITH THOSE PANTS”
- It resembles the original R6 1.0!
- It uses mesh deformation, as seen in the GIF above.
- I have tested it with IK. It seems to work properly.
- Changing scale in-game might make deformed meshes look… weird. Reload the character somehow, so it renders properly. That’s how mesh deform rigs work at the moment, and I hope it is fixed in the future.
- When character dies, it breaks apart - like a normal R15 rig. I recommend using a custom death script (example: ragdolls!), but it’s not necessary. You could also break characters by destroying selected motors.
- It’s not rig related, but changing Tool.Grip might have a visual bug where deformation disappears for a split second. Don’t worry, I have reported the issue since it’s not on my part.
Report issues on Twitter or in this DevForum thread.
"Do you take mesh deform commissions?"
Sorry, but I’m prioritizing few things at the moment - like helping with one of the front page games and working on personal projects. Too many commissions aren’t good!
"Can I use it in my stuff?"
Yeah! Crediting me for Dogu15 rig would be welcome! You might want to also let me know.
I want to see what you can come up with!
"Can I modify it?"
Yes of course. It’s an open source model. Let me know if you did any improvements!
"Why is the skeleton in modelling files so incompatible with Roblox’s avatar import?"
No one really made a R15 1.0 format skeleton
I rigged the thing in-studio myself.
"At some angles I can see skin color of my character! What happened?
It’s not really my fault. It’s how Roblox’s texture filtering works.
"I really want to support you for this wonderful rig! How can I help?
I post creations on my Twitter. Sharing them would be cool - for example I’m trying to get into UGC program.
If you’re thinking about donations, Dogu 15 Rig Test place will have game passes.
- I didn’t list anything at the moment of “new Dogu15”, but if you have a very popular game with this rig - let me know.
Torso UV reference:
Limb UV reference: