3D Layered Clothing is Now Available!

First: my point wasn’t that Deltarune is better than other triple a games (even if i personally feel that way), it was that those games are still popular despite their “drawbacks” and “backwards ways” or some crap like that. The game definitely more popular than both of those titles, even if they are more “technologically advanced”.

Second: YOU CAN DO SO MUCH WITH THE CLASSIC STYLE. You want to know why games on the SNES and the NES are fondly remembered more than the last call of duty? Because those games were fun. Better technology =/= better game (unless you are using the pong engine then yeah you should probably change that). You can get so much more creative with a classic style, in fact, restrictions can even aid your creativity in finding work-arounds and other ways to approach a situation. Look at some of the stuff Nintendo has had to do in the past to try and get the most out of their technologically limited consoles, it makes for some crazy and quite creative ideas the teams behind those games had to come up with to get over the technological challenge of making a certain part of a game work when the technology limits what they can actually do with that idea.

Third: No. Just no. R15 is not a cure for all, in fact sometimes it can do more harm than good. The seams, the downgrade in performance, just all of it is meh and you can do quite a lot of the stuff you can do with R15 just as good or even better with R6.

Finally: no, I do not see realistic avatars as the future of a platform that has always been a place where lego men do lego things at it’s core since the beginning, it just doesn’t sit well with me. Sure, the technology may be cool, but I don’t feel it suits a platform that has for it’s entire life been known as “the lego game”.

3 Likes

Deltarune is newer (specifically part 2) so obviously it’s gonna be more popular. Also I never said it was backwards, the style fit the game well. But yeah, I could have made my point better, because I don’t think I made it at all. Those games are also great (as great as Delta and Under) even though the technology wildly varies. The graphics don’t define quality, true, but that doesn’t mean all games with good graphics are worse than games with old timey graphics, and vice versa.

Yes. You CAN do a lot with the classic style. But you can do a lot with the newer styles as well. It’s better to let creativity shine, rather than forcing outdated technology on people. (Hopefully, they let devs disable this, if not, THEN I will have a problem.)

Yes, because Activision doesn’t care about game quality anymore, they want to push out the next cash cow game every year, whereas back then, Nintendo actually cared about the games they made. But also there are many quality games made with new technology, and many crappy games made with old technology. Want examples of great modern games? Psychonauts 2, Half Life: Alyx, DooM: Eternal, Legend Of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Oddysey, Wolfenstein: The New Order, DooM 2016, Little Big Planet, Little Big Planet 2, Aliens: Fireteam Elite, Totally Accurate Battle Simulator, Luigi’s Mansion 3, Bloons Tower Defense 6, etc. And those are just the 3d and 2 1/2D games! And for the crappy NES games, we have Dragon’s Lair, Deadly Towers, Action 52, Ghostbusters, Athena, Super Pitfall, etc. Correct, better technology =/= better games. It’s how the technology is USED.

If you don’t force a single style onto every game, you can have WAY more creativity. Yes limitations can create creativity (it’s why Minecraft building is so fun) but that is only useful for creation-based games, not game engines.
In game engines, limitation is just limitation, and usually just causes issues.

Yes, Nintendo actually put care into making games that are fun, even with the limitations they had. But that’s because they actually knew good game design. It was not because of the crappy technology. If they had newer technology, they probably could have made games that are just as good, if not better.

True, R15 is not a cure for all, but it does not make things worse. Like I said, the seams are hardly noticeable on most body types. And also the performance is hardly different, unless you are on the worst device that Roblox is playable on. And no, you can do everything way better with r15 than you can do with R6 (cartoony, realistic, etc.)

Ok, the association of Roblox and Lego is made by people saying that it’s only a game for kids, which isn’t true at all. It’s literally an insult. That is the worst point you could have made against this new technology. Roblox isn’t going to have a set style anymore, especially with the new custom materials beta.

4 Likes

aah,the monkey kid is here!

Oops,Is there any news at layered clothing? 2022 is approaching soon and ROBLOX didn’t prepare for it.

6 Likes

looks so oddly weird, lmao the items are so off too

2 Likes

Making progress!

And if I manually set the attachment points, bingo!:

Shirt does not wrap at all, but the cages never loaded correctly. Still no fix on avatar importer, but there is a new mesh importer in the works so… never?

Here’s one thing I found and corrected! The code in the original post assumes CharacterAppearanceLoaded will fire. On a custom avatar, with a surface appearance, it never fired. I changed up the code.

local myAccessoryAsset = "ChainShirt" 

game.Players.PlayerAdded:Connect(function(player)
	player.CharacterAdded:Connect(function(character)
		local humanoid = character:WaitForChild("Humanoid")
		if humanoid then
			humanoid:AddAccessory(game.ServerStorage:WaitForChild(myAccessoryAsset))
		end
	end)
end)
4 Likes

More progress. More notes:

1. Skinned accessories don’t need any wrap layers at all.

The base pieces (chain shirt, gloves, pants) have wrap layers, the outer layers do not (vest, pauldrons). Multiple parts are held together with weld constraints, and still animates.

1. Layers seem to be kind of working once and kinda not, but I can’t find any instructions for putting a layer on a layer. This is what happens when I apply wrap layers to the second and third layers:

On layer 2, it appears to use layer 1 inner cage, not the outer cage. On layer 3, the cage work seems to be OK, but the rivets float and distort. The weld constraints all break. I call this correct.

1. I’m ready to test a male body, to see if I actual wrapping occurs.
3 Likes

its already 2022 when layered clothing in avatar shop come out?

8 Likes

Probably gonna release at february 2022

4 Likes

Has there been any improvements or bug fixes?

3 Likes

Where can i get the character model?

2 Likes

What do you mean about that?

OG Source engine?

You mean GoldSRC? or the Source 1?

2 Likes

Oh crap ye Source 1, I always forget about GoldSRC lol.

1 Like

Cool! May help me with armor making.

2 Likes

Could you please confirm that there was a weld created between the Handle MeshPart of the Hair accessory and the Head Meshpart?

3 Likes

Sorry I cannot, this body is a free model which I was messing around with it, Unfortunately it got deleted from toolbox.

2 Likes

if you want a 3D clothing i’m find was one game is made by clonetrooper1019

link: Layered Clothing Tester - Roblox

2 Likes

i’m want said 3D clothing is mesh deformation.

2 Likes

Something strange has happened…

Roblox Layered Clothing is somehow on-sale for 1 robux…
EDIT: Heres the link Parka - Green - Roblox
Even more…

4 Likes

You can’t get this right now because the ‘type’ is jackets which isn’t released yet

Should I get it???

2 Likes

All active outfits I’ve found

4 Likes