3D mask for post processing effects - change ColorCorrection for one area of screen

As a Roblox developer, it is currently impossible to apply a post-processing effect within a 3D region. I already tried make a post to ask help but everyone said is Impossible: Is it possible to change the color contrast to black and white only within an area?

In my game I’ve made a skill that creates a big circle.

And only inside that circle I want it to be grayscale / black and white.

Some kind of 3D filter or post-processing effect would solve my problem. This would open up a new window of effects, it doesn’t just have to be black and white, it could be all kinds of effects (e.g. distortion, noise, bloom, color correction, etc).

This would be a really cool way to mark the map in maze minigames, or easily create Black hole or rainbow effects. :slight_smile:

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my game and my development experience because i would make more skills of this style in my game, but currently this is impossible so i cant continue the skill development. This feature will open a new area for effects on Roblox.

29 Likes

I was looking for this post.

It is still very much needed. However, I’d mostly feel this as needed for a 2D aspect, and not 3D.

Right now, creating screen-area-specific post processing effects is extremely hard, and often even impossible.

Say, for example, a scoped rifle where the background is blurred:

Right now, the only solution is to use a BlurEffect and add a ViewportFrame to handle the rest, ignoring the general Lighting blur.
This is a bad approach, as ViewportFrames are extremely expensive, specially at bigger maps, making them unfeasable to use, and overall deliver a much lower quality render of the game, often lacking necessary features such as proper dynamic lighting or SSAO.

With the addition of UICorners, I could implement a blurred background scope with much higher quality by using a 2D mask that hides the post processing effect. This would remove the Blur for that specific circular area, and keep the general blur overall.

Regardless of possible real time calculation costs of removing the blur in that area or doing it in the rest of the screen, this would still be much more performant than having a ViewportFrame that clones the entire map. (ViewportFrames are also unfeasible when considering StreamingEnabled and big maps)

I’d really love to see something like this in the future. It’d help bring game effects and graphics to a next level.

7 Likes

I think no one Will have interest on that Topic, thanks bro to have interest, i Hope roblox add that on future.

1 Like

2024 and still nothing like this. Roblox, how are you going to turn Roblox studio into this “High Fidelity” pipe dream of yours if we don’t even have 2d/3d masks for something as basic as post-processing.

1 Like

Holy, long time i posted It, i tought people already forgot

1 Like

Full support.
It would also be nice to be able to apply this on BlurEffect either. This would allow creation of UI’s that blur the BG (though a bg filter for UI’s would be better addition) or perhaps blur edges of the screen.
Unsure how would the mask API be implemented but it should be possible to make something for programmer to interact with it’s mask (perhaps something like EditableImages?)