3D Models missing faces when imported from Blender? Recalculate your normals!

I’m sure some of you poor aspiring 3D Modellers have encountered a situation like this before, and until recently I’ve been doing stupidly complex workarounds to fix this, until I discovered this myself.

This issue is hard to diagnose if you aren’t an expert or do not quite understand how your 3D Modelling Program draws your 3D Model, everything could look perfectly fine, like this:

But, on inserting your new, hip, and juicy 3D Model into your MeshPart, this happens:

This is because the vertices you have made in the 3D Editor project a “face” in a particular direction, which is one-sided when it is exported over to ROBLOX.

To fix this sort of odd behaviour, your need to recalculate your normals. This is easily done in Blender by navigating here:

This bit may be different depending on your 3D Modelling Software, or version of Blender.

And boom, your mesh has been recalculated, and your pretty 3D Model will now, most likely, not have the tragic end of the junk folder because of this overlooked issue.

11 Likes

Here’s the same mesh but it’s been recalculated, for reference:
Tutorial_Done

3 Likes