A better voting system for games

As a Roblox developer it is currently very hard to base how well your game is performing based on the current voting system.

For example, if a player were to rage quit the game; that’s under no fault of the developer but that player will be more inclined to dislike the game, which in turn makes the developer think there is something wrong with their game without actually knowing the reason.

A great example of a voting system is Steams, players have to have played the game for 3-4 hours before being able to vote/leave feedback, I believe with this system Roblox could then bring back the comment system and get better feedback from their community of players without having to create their own methods such as Discord or in-game feedback systems (which are more successful I’ve found out)

Another thing is still having favourites, I’ve noticed that new games will get tons of favourites on them, but very few likes. Obviously many developers would prefer having a favourite as it actually features their game on the players profile. However this then leads the player not to like the game. I believe this is a good reason for many small developers not being able to kick off their game as when players see a lot of dislikes on the page they get turned away before even trying the game.

TL;DR Roblox should have a better voting system for games, like Steam

57 Likes

I support!

It’s far too easy for a player to be negative towards your game, simply just enter the game and you have the ability to dislike (something you haven’t even played more than a few seconds).

As a developer I feel disconnected with my community because I have no clue what they like, or what they dislike. We no longer have comments that could shed a little light on how players feel about our games since it got plagued with bots.

I think a review system similar to Steam would be perfect, because you can’t simply dislike, or like a game without a reason. The current system is an outdated method. People simply have to enter in your game (not even play for more than a second) and dislike for no reason at all. They may not even really dislike the game. But they just do it anyways for whatever reason.

Having a review system would be perfect, where they have to play your game for an hour or so then they’re able to give a like or dislike with a comment as to why they liked or disliked the game. It would give us developers feedback on what they like so we can build around those areas, and change what they dislike,

Please Roblox!

12 Likes

This is not a good idea on Roblox because users would have to play free robux / other scam games for 3-4 hours before being able to downvote them.

The comment system was removed because of the bots, but that wasn’t the only reason for removing it – just the final nail in the coffin. Comments are an extremely bad way to gather feedback from a game because there’s no organization. Feature requests / bug reports get drowned out by players trying to talk to the creator, and there’s minimal space to provide feedback on the game.

Feature specifically designed to collect feedback (e.g. per-game forums with categories)? Sure. Return of comments for use cases they’re not good at solving? No.

This is a problem on a number of platforms. Some automatically upvote the item when favoriting it, but this always leads to controversy from the community. A sizable amount of users use favoriting for bookmarks (not necessarily because they like the game), so automatically upvoting the item misrepresents them. It’s also bad UX practice in general to have one action have hidden side-effects. It’s not clear that favoriting an item would upvote it too. In the end, the communities that did this (e.g. Imgur) removed the auto-upvote.

To address this, Roblox will need to review what the purpose of favoriting is, and adjust the site interface accordingly. If it’s only meant for bookmarking, maybe the icon should be a hanging flag (like on the devforum) and not be displayed side-by-side with the upvote/downvote buttons. If it’s meant for users to quickly access their most-played games, maybe it’s not necessary anymore with Recently Played. In any case, this should definitely be something Roblox can solve.

Forced feedback leads to less people rating games. On Roblox, I’ve voted on thousands of games because it’s extremely easy. On Steam though, I only have 7 reviews, despite owning 100+ games. The gap would be even worse on Roblox because of our young audience – little kids don’t like writing paragraphs of text.

In this case, it seems like an easy way to provide feedback on the game would be enough. Maybe you don’t know why a particular user downvoted the game, but if you look at your game feedback and find that 70% of players don’t know how to get around the map, then more than likely that’s where the downvote came from.

12 Likes

As I stated in the response to the devforum questionnaire a while ago I would like the option for them to just thumbs up or downvote but also a 250 word box to allow them to write why they feel it should be given that rating, if they leave the box blank then it doesn’t display a message with it. Could also include review ratings e.g. bad reviews get put to the bottom if users don’t upvote it.

3 Likes

Yeah but this doesn’t affect reporting. Reporting a scam game and disliking a scam game aren’t mutually necessary for a scam game to be taken down. Players can still easily report the game if they played it for 10 minutes for being a scam game, even if they can’t dislike the game.

2 Likes

What you’re asking for is another entry point for WANT ROBUX FOR ABSOLUTELY FREE???.

1 Like

I don’t agree with this idea. Nobody would want to wait an hour to play your game just to give it a like or dislike.

1 Like

Happy DevForum anniversary!

1 Like

I’d be happy with a feedback system where users can write feedback and if it’s a group game, anyone with edit permissions would be able to read the feedback

currently how I get feedback in my game is asking users to message me, and that results in numerous situations from

-the messaging passing me (aka me not seeing it in the flood of messages)
-message getting lost/me not easily being able to relocate it unless I remember to archive every single feedback message
-me having to either screenshot/copy and paste the messages, to pass it on with the rest of the development team, which results in obvious delays in anything being fixed

I need a feedback system that users can easily find, that my entire development team can all read the same feedback, and ideally does not disrupt my personal messages.

2 Likes

Did you go to RDC or watch the live stream of it? They had an entire session about a rating system, I highly suggest you watch it.

3 Likes

Not being able to dislike a scam game is not a big deal. What they should be doing is reporting the game.

Players having to play even for 30 minutes before commenting would eliminate a lot of the bots, if not all of them as not a lot of bot owners would have the time, resources and patience to have all of their bot accounts play a game for 30 minutes or more.

5 Likes