A new Regular system for Members

I am usually on the DevForum a lot now. I almost post every day about something. I am also finding a lot of bugs in games and Roblox studio that I am not allowed to address. Since I am not a regular, #bug-reports, #platform-feedback, and others are not available. I would like to propose a new regular system for members, the same one. It was fine, nothing was wrong with it. So we should bring it back.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my experience using the forum because I and many others will be able to post on other regular-only channels.

Thank you,
Cheekybones

24 Likes

How would it work, as in, what requirements would be taken into account because there was supposed to be a replacement for post approval so that users could be promoted. Regular means you are trusted with more posting permissions, in #bug-reports and #feature-requests.

12 Likes

Maybe how many spam replies or topics and warnings, and how many solutions, likes, and good topics would decrease/ increase how likely you are to get in.

1 Like

But that still does not show that you are trusted with #bug-reports and #feature-requests permissions. Also solutions and likes are not good statistics and will only encourage farming statistics just for the sake of farming them. All that can really be said is ā€œwait for the new thingā€ :\

7 Likes

Uhā€¦ not really. The previous system (manual post approval) failed and thatā€™s why it was discontinued. Every topic and every reply had to be manually approved by someone before being ā€œreleased to the wildā€. Weā€™re talking about real people sitting behind a computer reading topics and having to decide whether or not they should be posted. If you had enough approved topics, you could be promoted to a regular.

Thatā€™s fine in a small community, but the dev community has been growing much quicker than expected. You canā€™t go through each and every post manually anymore. Simply said, demand was higher than capacity.

Managing a community this large isnā€™t an easy task. The old system was replaced for a reason and they arenā€™t just going to put it back out of the blue. A new, thoroughly designed system needs to be developed instead. It should take all events (or as many as possible) into account, which the old post approval definitely did not. Iā€™m a member too, I know that it can be restrictive, and I know itā€™s unfair that we canā€™t just level up. You need to feel some sort of empathy towards the people managing the forum and understand that not everything ā€“ especially a system which influences the overall functioning of the forum ā€“ can be accomplished easily.

In summary: The old system flopped because it was slow, inefficient, put unnecessary tension on people who were doing it, and unfit for a community which is growing day by day.

10 Likes

The reason the old system was removed was because anyone who were on Post Approval were stressed out by the amount of posts. If you have a bug report, DM @DevEngagementTeam. I got this post by doing this method, but it takes longer than Post Approval.

Well they are currently testing something called the Bug Report wizard

2 Likes

Yep. 100%.

This is actually REALLY visible when you go to a popular module or resource. Letā€™s say you go and see datastore2, thereā€™s 1600 repliesā€¦ ok, then you go back to 500 replies or so, and you see stuff from July, 2020 or so. Same thing with ProfileService, any big resource for that matter.

(I overshot with 500 replies, however look at this:

)

Thatā€™s on 500 replies. 2019. 2020 seems to have been a big year for people joining Roblox development.

2 Likes

I literally came here to post about this, but you beat me to it.

I too have several bugs that need fixing in RSudio, but I canā€™t post about them. Itā€™s not coolā€¦ I would really like to be able to become a regular for that reason alone.

I would love for the Roblox team to open this back up again, even if we needed a new set of rules for members to become regulars.

Maybe you would have to file a request to the developer relations team to become a regular?..

1 Like

It has now been a little longer than 6 months since Post Approval was removed and Member ā†’ Regular promotions came to a stop.

I am among many who wishes to get more perks and feel more included within the forum after a long time of consistent contribution.

My stats per now are 1.1k+ likes received, 3.5k+ profile visits, 9 days+ read time (216+ hours), 32.4k+ posts read, 90+ solutions and 900+ days visited (365+ days in a row).

Please do update the requirements and promote the members who deserve it. :pleading_face:

5 Likes

Being a Member of the forum already makes you included in the Developer Forum, even if youā€™re a Member you could still make consistent contributions, without the rank of ā€˜Regularā€™ and being in the rank of ā€˜Regularā€™ shows you are trusted with Developer Forum posting permissions around certain categories.

A Memberā€™s stats does not make one a Regular of the Developer Forum, and remember, to be a Regular, you have

Oneā€™s stats does not make one a Regular, and it never had been.

Why are you so eager to be promoted to be a ā€˜Regularā€™ thereā€™s nothing really special about it, sure you could access #lounge, though thereā€™s not really special things there, and most of us prefer other communications platforms when communicating with each other rather than using the forum to do it. Iā€™ll be honest, itā€™s better if #lounge could just be removed.

5 Likes

I mentioned that I among others wanted to feel more included within the forum, and that includes being shown appreciation towards by being awarded a promotion for oneā€™s dedication.

There is literally a direct connection between usersā€™ stats and the post you linked. I am not sure what you are talking about.

1 Like

Iā€™ll ask you back, why do you need appreciation despite the fact this is just a Developer Forum, and you shouldnā€™t even expect somethingā€¦ Isnā€™t your dedication to the forum enough for your to be already apart of it? You donā€™t need appreciation to be apart of somethingā€¦ Honestly, you shouldnā€™t even expect anything from the Developer Forum but you should just focus on contributing to fellow membersā€¦ despite the fact that you should be thankfulā€¦ and be dedicated with nothing in return.
Appreciation is obtained not expected, to be precise.

You donā€™t understand, everything Iā€™ve stated above is just some ways to be promoted to Regular, and stats does not make you Regular, they didnā€™t disclose it properly so users wouldnā€™t abuse this, though, in reality, obtaining the rank of Regular isnā€™t obtained through stats or how many likes your posts get in this forum.

2 Likes

Post Approval got seriously backed up and so it was removed as it became overwhelming for the team.

Regular means you can be trusted to not post utter garbage on high-priority channels to engineers, Lounge is a nice side channel, even though itā€™s always dead.

Your activity on the forum will not get you promoted, if you want an actual system, it should be based on your quality of posts, not how active you are.

For example; lets have two theoretical users, oneā€™s who never active, and one whoā€™s very active.

The very active user could be contributing to the spam to Development Discussion by constantly asking off-topic threads there. This isnā€™t going to get them Regular because Roblox doesnā€™t want to trust you with bug reports.

The inactive user though, could post a really detailed post on how the Plugin API works, but under you theoretical system, because theyā€™re never active. Roblox wouldnā€™t promote them.

4 Likes

So you are saying that if someone were to take your regular away, you would be fine with it because it doesnā€™t matter?

Step inside the shoes of a member. You donā€™t want this because you want regular to be more exclusive, which is rather selfish.

2 Likes

Please stop with this ā€œinclusionā€ argument. Iā€™m a member. We donā€™t need to rush promotions. Have you seen the state of #development-discussion?

If you want to be regular so you can get the ā€œperksā€ and feel ā€œincludedā€, then stop using this forum. I donā€™t know how many times I have to say it, regular gives you permissions to post in #bug-reports and #feature-requests. Thatā€™s it. Donā€™t use the excuse of ā€œwell members cannot create bug reportsā€ because yes, you can. If youā€™ve spent enough time on this forum and read the guidelines you can see exactly how you can report a big as a member.

You should not want to be a regular for the sake of #lounge, just use discord.

Stats mean nothing in terms of your trust level. Regular is given based on your ability to write proper bug reports.

I understand this is harsh, but I am tired of members wanting regular just for the sake of regular. This isnā€™t a social forum, this is a developer forum.

8 Likes

Iā€™ll be honest, even when I was a Member I wasnā€™t really looking forward to becoming a Regular too much, thereā€™s really not much into it. Iā€™d even be fine if they made Members and Regulars equal, so, to answer your question. Yes.

I used to be a Member myself and didnā€™t envy the Regulars, you though, in the other hand shows you envy users with the Regular role as seen in your statements, being a Regular, dosenā€™t mean weā€™re higher than Members weā€™re just trusted in posting more freely in certain restricted categories where Members canā€™t reply with the former Post Approval.
Hilariously youā€™ve mistakenly thought what being a Regular is, we donā€™t have any ā€˜exclusiveā€™ abilities other than being trusted to create threads in certain categories.

4 Likes

The amount of likes received can be used as a way to tell how contributive a userā€™s posts are. When you like a post it is usually because you agree with-, or find the post useful.

1 Like

I never stated that I solely wanted the promotion to get access to #lounge. Please stop making assumptions and keep your negative opinions to yourself.

1 Like

No? Likes mean nothing about how contributive a user is. That is not at all how you should be representing a person to decide if they are worthy of promotion.

You said, and I quote,

Unless you can tell me what are the ā€œperksā€ you are talking about, I have every reason to believe you are referring to #lounge.

4 Likes

Wrong, normally, likes just show how users like the fact that youā€™ve given, but it dosenā€™t mean itā€™s contributive. Iā€™ve seen off-topic posts obtaining so much likes, and this just proves likes isnā€™t a reliable source to which your posts are said to be ā€œcontributiveā€.
Another example is that, if you see something that you like in a post, you would like itā€¦ even though itā€™s not contributive or educational.

Shall we review this?

Iā€™ll be saying this once again, you shouldnā€™t expect anything from the Developer Forum, other than you should be giving contributive posts that will help developers, not expecting anything in return or from this forum.

4 Likes