A parameter to edit or change Collision 'Softness'

Hi! To start off, something with the new physics solver versus the legacy one that I’ve noticed(and enjoy in most scenarios) is that collisions are much more firm, rigid, and solid. Hitting a wall feels more like running into a wall. However, as far as making vehicles go, especially ones with any sort of tire, it can be quite jarring and uncontrollable to say the least. I propose perhaps it would be useful to have a ‘collision softness’ parameter that affects how hard the surface of a part is and how it reacts when it hits things. Imagine a soft beanbag being dropped onto the ground versus a hard steel ball bearing or even a bouncy ball. While yes, you can change the elasticity of an impact, it doesn’t really make them softer or harder or let you have much control over the collisions themselves.

Tldr; I think it would be really beneficial for developers who use physics a lot in their works to have control over how a part reacts to collisions.

Thank you for even reading this

9 Likes

I would absolutely love to have this feature. Using it for gliders on a train would make it less susceptible to hitting a rail part hard and derailing the vehicle.