Ability to adjust volume of studio

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to test audio when in roblox studio.

Because the audio in studio is entirely dependent on the volume of the client, I can’t adjust audio in studio and the client independently. This means testing sounds in studio is unintuitive.

Not only can I not get a consistent volume for my sounds, I generally play roblox with the volume off. This means that every nearly every time I open studio, I have to go in game and adjust my volume, and then restart studio in order to test audio. This is a time consuming hassle, and if fixed would greatly increase my work flow when working on audio.

If audio was adjustable independently on studio, I would be able to do better audio work as I would have a consistent volume for audio and would work faster from avoiding said hassle.

Examples of this effecting others is here:

8 Likes

I’m not sure if this is exactly related to what you mean but this exists:

( in Studio settings )

Unless you actually are talking about it and imply that it’s just broken and isn’t working how you’d expect it, idk.

1 Like

That effects server volume - the volume I am talking about is the studio editor. It seems to take it’s volume from the roblox client’s settings.

Are you talking about the play test?
Because the way you word it is just confusing, when you say “studio editor” I think when you’re actually in edit mode, not in “run” or “play” mode or whatever it’s called.

I do mean in edit mode. For the sake of testing audio while editing the game, it is important to have some sort of volume control.

Well that’s kind of what “Run” mode can be used for…
Studio’s audio (and from my experience the test modes or atleast “Run” mode) are based on studio’s independent audio (which I’ve shown earlier)

You can see how your audio would behave in a live environment, and when you’re satisfied, you just copy the audio in the test, exit test mode, and paste it in its spot, replacing the unedited audio. That’s how I, and I’m pretty sure everyone else does it.

You don’t understand. If I were to mute my volume on a random roblox game, as I do, and then open studio, the audio would be completely muted. Run mode or not.

If I test in “play solo”, I then have the ability to adjust my volume via the in game menu, but the volume changes don’t replicate to studio.

Run mode could be a workaround regardless, so you have a point - but it would require starting play solo, adjusting the volume, and then using run mode after that point.

Besides being an unintuitive and slow process that I’m sure would leave many with a lack of understanding on how to work around it,

Run mode also has the issue of having to load the entire game in order to adjust a sound, and if your game has other sounds going on it would require an entirely new place just to listen to this sound in particular.

This is an incredibly slow process that could be easily remedied by some sort of volume adjustment controls.

You on windows? if so you can change the volume of separate applications in the taskbar. there is a dropdown menu under the sound control.

The in game volume overrides the windows application volume, albeit it may be a better option to just always play on full volume on roblox and adjust via windows to avoid this issue, yeah