Ability to change the size and wind-speed for Grass inside studio/in-game

As a Roblox developer, it is impossible to have different grass height and especially wind speeds for the grass like moving severely when the wind is high or move lightly currently for the Decoration feature of the speed that the grass moves.

A quick video of the grass feature currently:

Video:

Alright, most of us have seen grass move within the wind on a stormy day or maybe a typical summer day with the wind blowing onto the grass for relief and maybe tall grass to cut, but what if it was implied into Roblox? Tall grass and wind speeds would make games more realistically with weather games or maybe games with cars when a car pass by a certain area and the grass blows realistically, you get the point.

How will this work you say? Well, I will be giving some points down below on how size and wind will work, but they can change if it gets accepted or not:

1. Size: Size would only work on height except for length and width since grass is normally tall on height than wide.

Minimum size: 1 stud or however the scaling works.

Maximum size: 4-5 studs.

1. Winds: Wind would be able to change how the grass moves from a certain angle and how it hits the grass and how strong the wind would be against the elements:

Minimum wind-speed: 0 ~ 1.

Maximum wind-speed: 8 ~ 10.

Here are some videos demonstrating wind changes on grass and especially the size for them:

Video/Image:

Grass blowing in the wind. - YouTube

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because it can improve on terrain creators and game developers that use the grass terrain inside their game which seems very beneficial on the weather and temperature of the game like the ambient/sky and time of day.

^ With above, having more grass features in the future might change how we see grass onto Roblox games and possible realism with this.

So, what are your opinions on this?

25 Likes

I’d also like to add a few more features I’d like to see when dealing with the customization aspect of terrain’s default grass.

You’ve seen grass before, and it doesn’t look the same everywhere. That’s why I propose adding different types of grass.

Long grass! Could you add that? Instead of just the size changing, what about the shape changing? It could be skinny and long! Instead of simple triangles, it could bend.

Now I’m not asking for realistic, PBR grass, but something at least better than a triangle.

Think of the grass in a swamp, in a savanna, near the arctic, or on a suburban lawn.

Thanks. :smiley:

4 Likes

Long grass is pretty much what I mean with the size of the grass which was mentioned in the post on height, long and narrow in height instead of width and length.

1 Like

Having speed would be nice for effects like weather, making grass move faster during a storm and slower during calm weather.

@Macawmangrovve12 being able to put a texture id for the grass instead. Having no texture would leave grass how it is, but putting a texture would make the grass blades use that texture. Just an idea.

4 Likes

I do believe that detailed customisation of grass falls under “decoration system” which is a future plan for Roblox. Decoration is still considered an early feature (?) with a lot more coming up.

See the bottom of this post:

At the very least though, I’d like to know where we are with decoration, as the grass feature went live on the client in December 2019.

4 Likes

Hello I really like your idea of adding realism!
This should definitely be added!
Since Roblox is updating fast, and so many features are added almost every week, this seems possible!
Hopefully!