Ability to force Ambient Occlusion disabled for high quality levels

Okay. Basically, there’s an issue that a lot of creators nowadays suffer with, if they want to make cartoony games, that as far as I know there is not a fix for.

In Roblox, you have the ability to set your graphics quality. By default, I have mine cranked all the way to 10, and I assume a lot of players will also do, but let’s say you want to make a cartoony game.

Cartoony games are extremely popular on Roblox as of lately! So it’s no surprise you’d also want to make one and have flat assets and characters, maybe even have shadows baked on to parts themselves.
However, there is an issue. If a player has a quality higher than 8-9 as expected, they get ambient occlusion outlining every face of the geometry including meshes. No lighting setting can fix this either as I am aware, resulting in this ugly halo around things that should be flat according to the game developer’s wishes.

Here are some links to some images of what I am referring to. It consists of a mesh, and the Lighting set to be as cartoony as possible:
Ambient (255, 255, 255)
Brightness 0
ColorShift_Bottom (0, 0, 0)
ColorShift_Top (0, 0, 0)
GlobalShadows false
LegacyOutlines false
OutdoorAmbient (0, 0, 0)
Technology (Any, default compatible)

All parts obviously have CastShadow disabled.

The first image is completely 100% unedited. The second image consists of arrows and lines showing where the ambient occlusion shadows are.

And here’s an image from gameplay:
shadEng

45 Likes

We generally need advanced graphics options and the ability to change them from scripts. I find it really annoying that I can’t get rid of bloom or sun rays without decreasing my render distance.

16 Likes

Bumping this, the fact we can’t is pretty frustrating

4 Likes

Having the same issue, I feel like this needs to be addressed.

Max graphics settings:

Lower Graphics Settings

The ambient occlusion dulls the color of the outline and ruins that flat color appearance. Maybe adding a slider or a check box within the lighting properties to control the strength of the ambient occlusion would be nice. Or a way to cap/control the graphics settings of players.

The only solution currently is to prevent players from playing until they change their graphics settings, which is just silly.

7 Likes

To bump again, for the past year I’ve had to include a script in my game that forces players to set their graphics below max-level to play my game.

It’s frustrating for players and I receive complaints, but it’s necessary for the gameplay to not be able to see ambient occlusion and so I cannot change it.

I still hope this is added soon, this solution isn’t optimal.

2 Likes

-= NECROMACING WIZARD HERE TO BRING THIS POST BACK FROM THE DEAD =-

roblox has still done nothing about this and it’d be really easy to fix please add some sort of way to disable AO manually

1 Like