Ability to generate landscape like trees and structures onto Terrain in Terrain Editor

Most of us that work with Terrian always know the struggle of putting down trees and vegetation onto a certain terrain material such as a cactus, trees, boats and buoys, and especially more objects and models that are clearly used when working inside studio with the terrain.

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to stamp trees, rocks, and building onto the terrain like the old terrain back in 2012 and 2013 when you could place down trees and other models for the terrain like buildings and maybe other cool things that were made back then.

Currently right now on Roblox, the only way to generate and place down trees and other things onto terrains like grass or sand is to Copy and Paste a certain model onto the specific area given that the user wants to put that model onto, which wastes the user time on doing that certain thing, but we also have a plugin called Brushtool that helps us spawn in models and saves up time onto part maps or a world full of parts but on terrain is a different story.

How it would work is that it would find a certain area on the terrain like a smooth or flat area to spawn that object that is inside

Here are some examples of what I mean with trees and some natural objects onto terrain:

Video/Pictures

ROBLOX Terrain Demo - ROBLOX RALLY 2011 - YouTube

If Roblox is able to add the feature and maybe evaluate it somehow onto the engine, it would improve my development experience because it will make it so much EASIER to generate such a large terrain world with different environments instead of using a plugin and have to adjust it to the perfect position, or Copy and Paste which is a pain to many of us out there.

In the end, it is up to the user and myself on what there should be a change on, either use a plugin to benefit you or have a simple button to generate a model onto a certain material and boom, saves you many minutes and hours while brushing and stamping things onto a given area of the given world.

My reasoning might not be the best, but others could understand what I am giving here when it comes to terrain landscape.

So what are your thoughts on this?

9 Likes

There’s a plugin called Brushtool that does this really well. You just drag across an area and it places the models, you can tell it how close you want them to be, randomized rotation and size, etc.