Ability to hold down a key to lower movement speed

Although this is scriptable, with the addition of avatar walking animations this would be helpful to see the animation without having to slide against a wall.

It could be togglable with a bool property CanWalk.

7 Likes

I don’t think adding code in a piece of software to ‘patch’ a hardware limitation is a good idea. Keyboard inputs are digital, meaning keys are either being held or they aren’t. There’s no ‘half press’ to reduce your input power or the power at which your action happens. Software shouldn’t be adjusted to support these inputs because it’s something the hardware is responsible for; XBox controllers for example have analog triggers and thumbsticks which allow you to move at lowered speed by not fully pressing the thumbstick to one of the sides; It’s what the controller was designed for. If you want to dynamically adjust your movement speed you should be using an XBox controller instead.

I entirely disagree, many games have a button to walk or run, this is no different.

4 Likes

He doesn’t mean pressure based. He means hold control down to walk at 7 speed instead of 16. Just an example.

1 Like

How would older games such as infinite runners be affected by this change? It seems more like something the game developer should add to their game if they want, rather than suddenly everyone needing to accomodate this change which may break their games.

Furthermore, if it simply changes the WalkSpeed property, this may affect in-game effects such as being frozen in a tag game - but having the modifier hidden in some secondary property is unnecessary bloat and makes WalkSpeed not reflect the actual walkspeed of the player’s character.

Xbox joysticks and mobile joysticks already took this into account and you can walk slower with them. OP wants a similar feature for PC, like holding Ctrl or some unused button.

7 Likes

Alt or F4 seems like a good unused button to use. Maybe even both,

7 Likes

The closest way I can think of replicating this onto PC for varying movement speed would be to use the scroll wheel. It can be easily scripted.

If you just change the walkspeed it wouldn’t use the “Walk” animation (AFAIK) like this post says, so it wouldn’t be that simple to script.

Actually, walkspeed is what determines the blend between walk/run – I found this out pretty recently when having different walk/run animations equipped and changing my walkspeed in studio for unrelated reasons.

2 Likes

Oh snap, that’s nice to know!