Ability to preserve Humanoid momentum

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to let players jump or fall on moving platforms because Humanoids dramatically lose momentum while in the air (and not sitting, platform standing, ragdolling, dead).

momentum

The above .gif demonstrates Humanoid behavior while sitting (no loss of momentum) and jumping after force is applied (dramatic loss of momentum). I’m not simply leaping off of a train in order to demonstrate that this doesn’t just apply to Humanoid platforms.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because it would eliminate hacky solutions needed to implement high-velocity platforms without CFraming everything including players.

I’m brainstorming a game which heavily relies on humanoid platforms, which work amazing even at high velocities; however, players will fall behind if they jump or fall to a lower platform. While players may be able to walk around just fine, they can easily fall off the moment they lose contact with the platform.

I have tried methods such as in Jailbreak’s train platform system, but to little success. While they work as intended at low velocities (<100 studs/s), players become extremely choppy at higher ones and even lose the ability to move while jumping or falling. These existing solutions are largely intended for platforms moved by CFrame, and I would like to rely on physics as much as possible due to the collision-based nature of my game.

My technical proposal is an addition to Humanoid API to enable or disable this loss of momentum (which is basically air drag), or even control the rate ourselves. I wouldn’t advocate removing it entirely because I believe it has utility, just not with what I and other devs intend to do with Humanoids.

35 Likes