Ability to re-arrange the order in which badges are displayed

Such update could have been made by Roblox years ago… but alas we are years behind the lots of minor and simple, yet helpful updates :smiling_face_with_tear:

Id be willing to charge a fee per reordening and cover the reorder costs per badge if that’s the issue.

To be clear, this is not so much as actual financial cost being an issue, more that engineering time is limited and we need to balance the investment against slowing down other projects.

8 Likes

Alright thanks for clearing this up. I guess we should not keep our hopes up for now?

2 Likes

I don’t really know much about how Roblox stores its data internally, but wouldn’t it just be easier if a new attribute was added to the Badge object that is meant to represent the order in the list? No one cares how they are stored internally, you guys can just make the websites and the other places where badges are displayed to just take into consideration the new order in list attribute and display the badges based on that.

4 Likes

Yes and doing “just” that is what is a non-trivial engineering investment when you’re a platform of our size. :slightly_smiling_face: Everything is easy at no scale without other commitments to users.

That being said we are still talking with the involved teams if it’s possible for them to prioritize a solution for this.

13 Likes

I do not mean to sound disrespectful or to lessen any of anyone’s work, but if Roblox has been able to bring us a completely functional voice chat system or 5 different AIs in the past months, surely adding an “order” field to the database that stores badges can’t be that much of an obstacle, right? Or am I wrong on the entire line?

2 Likes

There’s not just 1 engineering team at Roblox where any engineer can do any task. The team that works on those features is not the team that works on badges. There’s many teams owning different pieces of the platform who are experts at how their piece is implemented.

The team that owns badges, which also owns several other products, was overcommitted on their roadmap with other high-priority maintenance work and new feature work such that they couldn’t consider this feature at the time of my previous post. This may change in the future as priorities shift and they might implement it in the future provided the need justifies the effort. Rearranging badges is not just a database change but also we need to adjust some web pages etc.

The best thing for you to do when you see a problem that you need solved is find the corresponding feature request thread on the forum and support it with Likes, relevant replies explaining your stake, etc. You can also raise the topic on AMA threads, at RDC, and in focus groups with our product team. All this helps the team balance the need against all other needs that users are asking them to do something about.

11 Likes

We need this feature for exampleI wasnt good at scripting when I started this game so I scripted the welcome badge later. This means that the WELCOME badge displays at the bottom

displays at the bottom.

1 Like

Bumped. Needs to happen. It would help a ton of games with their badges.

2 Likes

It’s honestly quite selfish to have this sort of mindset about it.

3 Likes

I would love to see this added. Sometimes we add badges too late and then we end up having the welcome badge showing up after beating the boss badge, we all know welcome badges should be at the top of the page so this real annoying. Usually the badges are ordered form “most awarded” to “least awarded”. Welcome badge would be at the top and beating boss badge at bottom.

At the moment the best way to rearrange badges is to click off the “item is active” and make completely new badges. Another way would be that developers would have to think of a list of badges they want and then create them in order, but then they couldn’t create more badges later as it would be out of order.

3 Likes

Bumped, this needs to happen. It would help so much in my group

7 Likes

Bumping this again, great to see its being thought about by Staff though.

Just finishing up an 8 month project, and immediately messed up the badge orientation today ,now I have to re-do all my badges in the order I want.

The only solution currently for this is to mess with all the badges name/description and code that gives badges. I think this is why I think they havnt done the badge re-orienting already.

(wrong reply)

6 Likes

Heavily bump this, the process of re-organising badges as of now is tedious and I hope that Roblox can implement a system either similar or exactly like how you’ve suggested; it would help a lot.

6 Likes

Was just thinking about this. This would be really convenient in order to display badges in an organized matter.

2 Likes

This would be something used by lots of developers! Roblox please add this!!

2 Likes

Having this feature would help me convey to my players what achievements they can work towards in a more organized and easier to understand way.

For example, by being able to arrange them from easiest to hardest to obtain, chronologically (think obby stages badges), or by placing holiday events (haloween, winter, etc) all in one section on the list would make badges more organized for both developers and players.

4 Likes

please add this feature :smiley: @MeshOfPaul

1 Like

Small update that it got to the roadmap

1 Like