Ability to update a place from the create page without having to load into it

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to update multiple places that rely on packages for their content.

Hiya, I’m GregTame. creator of Steam and Steel.
Steam and Steel is a train tycoon game that uses maps that are 4 square miles of smooth terrain. so each map uses about 2gb of ram to load in studio.

We have a lot of maps.

Since all the asset and game engine is the same between maps. I do all my coding on the test map, and the use packages. all the packages in the actual maps are all set to auto update.

there is one major problem though. how do i push the actual update to users?

Well right now the only way I can do this is to open each place, press update, and close it.
but each map being so massive. loading a map takes between 40 and 90 seconds. so that means currently updating any change takes about 5 minutes, and has to be done entirely manually.

A simple button on the create page, under the place called “push update” or something would greatly speed up this process.
because as games like steam and steel get bigger, this problem gets worse and worse for me, in a way that make packages not worth it.

9 Likes

Chiming in as the extreme example:

Updating my games such as TDTNTOR 2 or TDTNTOR 3 (with ~30 places within) take 20-40 minutes, even when the core package for each is identical. This doesn’t sound too bad if I’m releasing a large update every few months, but the kicker is this update issue applies for ANYTHING - including small patches and bug fixes.

The overall issue for me is less about the size of the place files and more about the quantity. Either way, having this feature would be a godsend.

2 Likes

This is a massive pain point of universes and should certainly be added.

In the meantime, try using a script like this:

It pulls the latest version of the place (unfortunately, this has to be done using a security token) and then publishes it using the open cloud api.

Edit: after posting this I realized that I can probably make a script using Lune that wouldn’t require copying your security token into a script. I might try and do this later.