Access to GuiService method SetGlobalGuiInset

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to . . .

anyways please add this feature io want to acces this thing from normal old scripts, cut it out with the corescript business, bro

http://wiki.roblox.com/index.php?title=API:Class/GuiService/SetGlobalGuiInset

either that or allow us to realy remove the topbar with a boolian since like, if we make it invisible the 36 pixel offset is still DANG annoying, man.

If Roblox is able to address your issue, how would it improve your game and/or your development experience? Please be as specific as possible.

it would make dealing with giu stuff much more easier and i can make really nice user guis

please bro

14 Likes

Support!

6 Likes

After doing some research into this GuiService method, I don’t believe this should be accessible.

This method is used by the CoreScripts to set the bounds for each device based on other factors such as IsTenFootInterface(), etc.

Changing this in your game may have unintended behaviour. Having to acknowledge the 36 pixel off-set within your UI development shouldn’t be too much of an issue and definitely does not require access to this method for you to be able to place UI elements on the top bar.

You can change the transparency and remove the top bar completely anyways.

But hey, I could be wrong, I don’t do a lot of UI development myself.

1 Like

ya this would make giu development so much more easy and epic

support !

3 Likes

rbxassetid://you bring up intristing point except they are wrong,

if i want to make my game for how i want for the devices that play it, which means like how i want to be able to change the inset of my guis so they can play the game with interface how i design it…

if you know how they say "powering imagination, be anything, build anything, `etc,

3 Likes

Support

3 Likes

My concern regarding this is that allowing the ability to access this method means you can change this, which in itself isn’t bad.

The problem is that by changing this, you’ll cause unintended affects to your game and overall cause more issues for yourself.

The 36 offset is consistent across all devices assuming you use scale and position correctly. Allowing you to change this method means that it may not be consistent across all devices.

The other concern is that this would be more hassle to implement rather than just understanding that there’s a slight off-set when developing your UI to place elements on the top bar.

Edit: For reference where this CoreGui method is used, please view this: https://github.com/Roblox/Core-Scripts/blob/master/CoreScriptsRoot/CoreScripts/Topbar.lua

1 Like

Hmm… no. What intended side effects are there.

1 Like

My point being that this is changed per device for you from the CoreScripts for consoles, VR, etc.

Forcing this to be a specific value just to remove a slight off-set would most likely cause issues for other devices. You may read the above code to see how it is used.

Maybe I missed something? But from a quick read over seeing how it’s used, it seems to be used to change the screen bounds for specific devices, etc.

1 Like

rbxassetid://

My point being that this is changed per device for you from the CoreScripts for consoles, VR, etc.

uhm the develepor sets it for his game normal it default value asigned by corescript so who care?

Forcing this to be a specific value just to remove a slight off-set would most likely cause issues for other devices. You may read the above code to see how it is used.

like what it is just change positon??

Maybe I missed something? But from a quick read over seeing how it’s used, it seems to be used to change the screen bounds for specific devices, etc.

well duh, wiki even saids that that is the piont

2 Likes

After what you discussed to me on Discord, I apologize for missing that point.

As long as it’s not set to 0,0,0,0 by default, then it should be fine I suppose. Since setting it to 0,0,0,0 by default for all games would off-set existing UI.

2 Likes