Accessories, their constraints, and what needs to be changed

I really want my character to have this glasses/beard combo.
blob.jpg

That is what my avatar looked like before.
I was using a glitch to allow my character to wear 4 hats at the time, but it was eventually patched. I was told in the past that in the future, the new accessory feature would solve this problem.

So in the mean time, I worked around that issue by mimicking my bow tie with a shirt.

blob.jpg

When the accessory update came, I was free to wear the combo at last! But this was going to be short lived, because Roblox decided to categorize the Clockwork Shades, and Andrews beard into the same category, and they limited it to one face accessory at a time. So now, I can’t even work around this issue with a shirt. Instead, I have to find odd cases where they can’t categorize an item as glasses, because its technically also headwear.
blob.jpg

This is really unfair. Roblox shouldn’t be constraining what we can and cannot wear together because they think it won’t look right. We should be free to wear up to 3 of each accessory type, with a maximum limit of 10 accessories at once, so that no old appearances are broken, but at the same time, more accessories can be worn. I’m begging you guys, I really want this combo back.

cc @Merely

19 Likes

RIP in piece Meganoob
rekt by frinenemy and headrow being both shoulder accessories

HEADS-44743732.png

3 Likes

I’m mad at what they did with my Fathertime beard. They split it into two meshes and now the texture is all messed up.

They can do that?

Yeah. One part is attached to my head, the other to my torso. Now it has seams and looks ugly on R15 and even R6.

…why is a beard attached to the torso? :thinking:

It stretches down to my legs.

I inserted this into studio, looks like it is just one mesh?

3 Likes

I want the ability to wear two pieces of hair. We’re waiting too long.

Oh, weird. The texture looks like it’s been chopped up if you look real close? In-game there’s a giant seam in my texture and it looks broken. The bottom back portion looks like part of the texture got cut then stretched to fit the mesh.

This is because the texture isn’t continuous. Because of the image size the texture is split into multiple parts.

See the texture image here:
https://t7.rbxcdn.com/faadd050ca0897d0e0f5d13bf966b13f

When the parts are mapped to the mesh it doesn’t look quite right, the mapping could probably be changed to make this look better but as far as I know the hat has always looked like that. As far as I know we currently have no way to split something into multiple meshes. This would actually be a good improvement for some items like pauldrons and we might do it in the future.

5 Likes

I agree with OP. I don’t think Roblox gains anything by limiting which types of accessories players can wear. Even if it does prevent ugly clumps of items, most players prefer seeing ugly hat combos than not being able to make their own combos.

1 Like

The point of Roblox is creative freedom, so limiting hat combos does seem pretty counterproductive.

4 Likes

Draconian design never ends well. Case and point:

• Outlines
  • Topbar
  • Smooth/Non-Smooth Plastic
  • “Physical accuracy” (addressed by CustomPhysicalProperties/CollisionFidelity)

All of those were part of a ROBLOX “vision”, were severely dramatized, and then surprise when they stopped being enforced with an iron fist the world didn’t end (and in all of those cases ROBLOX improved for the better actually). That’s not to say that because x happened with those features, y will happen by doing the same with accessories, but take a step back and look at what’s being enforced here.

Category limitations are meant to help stop hat clipping, but it hasn’t made any significant improvements. Hats are the main culprit of hat clipping – almost nobody wears two pairs of glasses unless they’re trolling. And hats are still able to be clipped, so what does category limitation accomplish? The only noteworthy item is hindering customization. It’s time for category limitations to go.

6 Likes

14 Likes

Also like to mention it broke my classic look, I am still extremely sad about it.

2 Likes

This topic is alive not but seriously now this is still a thing and it’s extremely annoying to be limited like this. My look works when changed in an outfit view but I still can’t put on two hairs inside the character editor and this is annoying as heck. It really shouldn’t still be restricted like this :frowning:

This was fixed long ago, shortly after the new avatar editor was released. On one of the accessory tabs, scroll down to the bottom and click “Advanced”. It will allow you to equip up to 10 total across any categories. You could have 10 hair, 5 hair and 5 hats, etc.

3 Likes

Dam that is really not user friendly and complicated

But it works, quit ur belly aching.

2 Likes