Accessories with a SpecialMesh without a Texture show studs

This bug started to happen again, seemingly after the outage. Unlike the original post though, it does not only happen with accessories in my game, but any kind of SpecialMesh (even before it was fixed).

Here is a model where we can see clearly the issue:

while it should normally look like this (taken in studio):

3 Likes

It’s happening to my game currently as well.

3 Likes

Same here. I change the hair color of my players by removing the textureId from the mesh and recoloring the handle. It worked fine but now everyones hair is white including NPCs.

2 Likes

But can anyone give a test scene, or link a game where you saw it? We do a lot of manual testing, but if we miss a corner case, it would be good to know what the corner cases are.

4 Likes

Hello , I saw this bug in Bee Swarm Simulator

Bee Swarm Simulator Link

3 Likes

This happens to my game, aswell. It seems to happen in every game.

1 Like

I also experience it in my game:

The Guide’s glasses are supposed to be black, they appear fine in Studio:

In-Experience they appear white for whatever reason:

You can locate the Guide by following the trail of noobs over to the first door. There are several other occurrences of this issue in my game, but she’s the easiest one to find.

This SpecialMesh bug only appears to affect accessories and SpecialMeshes that are children of humanoids - in-game props that use SpecialMeshes are unaffected.

2 Likes

Thank you all for the descriptions and links to your games where this could be reproduced.

We’ve found the root cause of the issue. FWIW last time we fixed the issue for this thread, we fixed it for accessories with a special mesh. But it seems that in some and not all conditions special meshes that are NOT accoutrements also had issues. (It seems Model packages under the humanoid were problematic)

If you can please list me the game links/ids that you have see this issue with, I can disable the new feature that we are testing for those ids or if there are too many we can disable it globally until next release again, but we would like to keep it on to continue testing for most experiences.

3 Likes

This issue for some reason also makes the force field texture invisible (when a limb such as an arm or leg is set to the material) and it does not appear in studio / studio testing.
As I believe I stated before replication is pretty simple. Remove the texture Id from the special mesh of a hair or accessory and then change the color of the Handle part as you wish. It should look normal in studio and in testing but in the actual game it comes off as white.

My place ID is 6787577257

Thanks for the place id. I have reproduced it and working on a fix. I will have a look at the force field issue too.

2 Likes

Getting some reports of the studs issue in Royale High as well (place id 735030788)

Getting this issue in my game, Would like to request disabling this in my game aswell. (both places.) 5268746524

The stud issue is making some players in my game look weird, can you disable this for my game too? The game id is 6466630690. Thanks!

Please push this update ASAP. It’s happening to some stuff I have that’s used between several games and it can’t be fixed without changing it to a meshpart.

1 Like

Hi, I’d like to help out with some reproduction and share my experience with this bug. These studs have been frequently appearing on the heads of people using my Morph Templates, something relied upon by the large roleplay community on Roblox.
image image

A link to the morph template used by these people can be found here:

A reproduction place of this issue can also be found here:

Hello,

Out of curiosity, when is the last time this was seen? I’m seeing posts reporting this issue from 10d and 4d ago, but the new feature (that caused this issue) wasn’t enabled at that time. Are the posts from something you saw previously? (If not are you manually overriding flags?)

A big thank you to all of you whom provided information on how to reproduce the issue. We have done multiple fixes and added multiple regression tests in our test suite to make sure those issue will stay functioning properly going forward. With the new release (out soon) we have not seen any studs issues. That said it could be that some new issue pops up (which could look like the old issue) and at that point, please report it, so we can fix it and add regression tests for it. (Unfortunately the material code is quite complicated and going through all conceivable paths isn’t easily testable on our side, so some edge cases may happen)

Thanks again for everyone providing information on the issues!

1 Like

I confirm that the bug is still happening. Here’s what I have got just now, in a new server:

My original post for expected result.

Looking into this, I have sent @homermafia1 a private message for additional information.

Found a fix for this specific issue. However we’re freezing updates for the holidays, so this code won’t make it in before the holidays. That said we will leave the new feature on for a couple days more to test if it has any other issues. After which we will disable the feature over the holidays… so these issues will all cease during the holidays.

All places that people have reported will have the new feature overridden to off so you shouldn’t see the studs issue. However if you have a copy of your game and you run that, which will have a different place id you will still see the issue. So please keep reporting live games where you see it, so we can place filter them off.

1 Like