[Action Needed] Upcoming Changes to Asset Privacy for Audio

Please tell me that it’s april 1st already. Some developers have to upload TENS or even THOUSANDS of audios in span of 2 weeks. Most of them have only 10 UPLOADS PER MONTH! This is unacceptable.

4 Likes

I am slightly worried about this. I do hope they dont privatize meshes. I hope they at least give us the ability to set the publicity of our work. Although It would be nice to be able to sell assets like audio and meshes.

Please tell us what long term may mean. How long will I have to sit around with my thumb you-know-where with my group’s game sounds silent while I wait for a permission setting to be able to make those sounds owned by my profile usable in the group game?

4 Likes

Is the sound upload limit expected to be raised, though?

1 Like

Why is it forced to make such a big change like this when there is no alternative to making it possible for everyone (yet)?

If the change is so big it should get delayed to make sure everyone can adjust to it.

An experience without audio is like trying to cross a road while being blind and deaf which causes the person to be driven over by a passing car because you cant hear the car, not all sound effects are shorter than 6 seconds, only loopable sound effects are.

We dont even know when the permissions will arrive, so far with this information all we can guess is a possible date of tomorrow to 10 years from now.

2 Likes

When Roblox says “in the future” this usually means months if not years (Or sometimes never lol). Granular audio permissions should come out with this change, not after. Should we all sit around and wait and hope Roblox will give more audio settings soon? No, because Roblox is terrible at fulfilling useful updates in a timely manner. Now every developer is forced to move their assets which could be in the hundreds, or up to thousands, even if they have uploaded them on their account but in a different group. Or we can have silent games, YAY! For people who have only 10 uploads per month, there is physically no way to have their games work as intended. They are stuck with Roblox’s unorganized stock audio. This is making developers do unnecessary work, and Roblox’s brilliant response is a partial fix ‘sometime in the future’.

I do not mean to be disrespectful to any Roblox employee, I am just heavily dissatisfied with Roblox as a company and how they are dealing with this whole audio lawsuit. Hopefully you can understand where we as developers are coming from, and why we are annoyed. Thanks.

7 Likes

Offsale = People can not add the asset to their inventory, but they can use the Id on the URL to use the audio in games.

Archived = Prevents audio from being used in games. Archived assets can be restored at any time.

Private = Audio cannot be played in games unless the audio creator is also the game creator.
All UGC audio longer than six seconds may be put to this setting next Tuesday and you will be unable to change them back to Offsale or Free for the foreseeable future.

1 Like

Remember when they said about releasing an alternative to on-site forums “in the future”? Yeah, history repeats itself. Silience and lack of communication is “the future” apparently.

3 Likes

While I can’t promise you an exact timeline I can promise that the timeline on getting the further features related to this is as aggressive as possible in this case.

6 Likes

With boombox gamepasses losing the functionality to do what people bought the gamepasses for, how are developers supposed to handle a massive backlash with tons of demands for refunds?

I wont be able to handle thousands of refund requests myself and i would also have to give 40% of the original purchase away due to the roblox tax and game ownership restrictions.

Why is there a monthly limit? I can’t think of anything good about this update. It should be at least weekly like 4 sounds a week(roughly 10 per month) so we can at least get some sounds out, but even that wouldn’t work well. Roblox has made an update that is impossible to be useful in any way possible. I’m impressed, Roblox, how did you manage to create such a thing.

What I would do is put a message that appears to owners of the gamepass and let them know of the change. Then allow them to choose some benefit to get such as in-game currency or an exclusive feature equivalent to the price of the gamepass.

Alternatively, you could update the boombox so that it has a gui that lets you choose any of the Roblox uploaded music.

nah this can’t be real :rofl:

is this update a “feature” to you? since you call them further features. no, please, just stop, I don’t want to see more “features” from you guys

4 Likes

My game doesn’t have a currency system. There isn’t anything i can give to users for this change.

They aren’t talking about an in-game currency system. They’re talking about the Robux funds within their group.

:neutral_face:

9 Likes

Then I guess you could have a curated list of audio from roblox or yourself for the boombox. Unfortunately not ideal, but better than nothing.

@tnavarts How will the audio permission behavior work in Team Create places not under a group? Currently it is hard to test animations in non-group Team Create games from a collaborator perspective because any animations uploaded by the owner of the place will not work when doing Play Solo in Studio but works in game, and animations uploaded by a collaborator will work in Play Solo but will not work in game. I created a chart to show what I mean:
I would hate if audios will now have this same behavior because it will make audios impossible to test in Studio from a Collaborator standpoint.

i cant upload audio to my game because the audio would appear to be private for the game’s owner.

i dont think that roblox licensed audio will play the most enjoyable engine sounds for the users.

1 Like

what kind of human being would willingly listen to that “audio” they uploaded

@rickje139 you don’t have to give any compensation, it’s not your fault someone at roblox came up with this “feature” - as they call it
it’s simply out of your control

3 Likes