[Action Needed] Upcoming Changes to Asset Privacy for Audio

Isn’t Strofe also going to be affected since they aren’t partnered with Roblox?

Strofe aren’t going to be effected as you can make your own songs on their website and download it as an mp4 / midi from there you can upload your song to roblox. As Strofe is a music generator.

The only thing Strofe is effected by is the free audio we gave on our Strofe inventory account which will now be private but we solved that by uploading the Google drive to give to people so people can download the music.

1 Like

I get what your doing, but not the way its being done, if i want audio to be used for public use, like being used within one of my models, then i should be aloud to do so.

3 Likes

Ah, I remember Strofe as the person who uploaded their music onto their Profile.

Yeah, it’s literally everything and anything over 6 seconds.

It’s also a website give it a try you basically make your own audio Strofe.com

1 Like

Same, I can upload over 2000 audios lol.

1 Like

Mhmm… watch this

11 Likes

I very much welcome the changes as far as asset privacy, as I no longer have to worry about people using my personal audio uploads for their own good, as I do make and edit a lot of sounds myself.

However, I believe that this is being pushed way too quickly. To say that you are disabling public audio over 5.5 seconds (because it rounds up to 6) and there is NO way to use it (come on, could we at least add the public stuff to our inventory to allow us to keep using it for now?) and not give us any sort of resurrection date is a bit absurd. Again, I support the reasoning for these changes, however the execution is poor and rushed.

3 Likes

This is cool and all but seriously, only 10 without ID verification? You realize how much audio design goes into games. It is very limiting for someone to do only 10. Atleast bump it up to 50 or the 100.

Plus, why would you punish players for not verifying? A large majority of developers don’t have their ID verified mainly because we don’t trust Roblox with our information considering how many other times the privacy of others has been leaked.

I know that Roblox won’t take this into consideration because they are like that, but I seriously beg someone to do something about this.

5 Likes

This is absolutely terrible. This screws over almost all of my games, almost all of roblox’s “professional audios” are absolute garbage and do not suit my needs. This will turn most games into a barren wasteland while we can a 10 audio upload limit max unless I wanna give roblox my ID. This is the type of stuff that makes us want to quit your platform. Nobody else screws us as hard as you do.

Roblox: Is lauded for a team devs creating a game of near AAA quality on their platform.
Also Roblox: “How about we screw the devs on our platform over so that they’re more dependent on us for everything and cannot innovate in the slightest unless they wanna give us their ID, their meal schedule, the time their parents go to and from work, the time they go to bed, AND their favourite candy, and even then that’s not enough audio slots for them to upload their audio”.

I’ll reitterate, NOBODY screws us devs as hard as roblox.

6 Likes

I hate this update. You are force-changing something that has worked the same for ages. This will even destroy some games that rely on the market place for audio (Using HTTP Service).

This should be an Opt-in (Like a setting or something on our account page) for new audio’s we upload. Every audio uploaded before this update was uploaded by people who either intended for other people to use their audio or knew that others would be able to use it. Forcing all audio before this update to be restricted to everyone but the uploader will hurt A LOT OF DEVELOPERS.

If you intend to go forth with this update, at least provide an option for us on whether or not we want all of the audio we uploaded before this update to be restricted.

12 Likes

@DTF Of the original tracks of yours that you’ve uploaded to Roblox, will you be making them all free for public use after this change goes live?

1 Like

I would hope that Roblox would change something about this update, but at this point I have little hope of that happening. The best I can think of is simply them doing something minor afterwards to try to “undo” a bit of the damage. But as other people have mentioned, this doesn’t even really fix the cause of this update which was copyrighted audios; all it does is hide them and once people can public their audios again… Roblox is essentially back to square one. This update in its entirety makes little sense and seems incredibly rushed.
I would have appreciated it if Roblox made any kind of attempt to get input from any part of the dev community, but they pretty much left us in the dark then told us when the hammer is already ready to drop.

Honestly with tons of developers leaving the platform, it means less competition for the developers who decide to stay. Yes this is an extremely bad update that’ll drastically impact games, but Roblox had a reason for making this heavy change.
The change shows what kind of developer a person is - whether they develop for profit or develop for community. Those who develop for profit will quickly ditch the platform to find an easier alternative to use their programming skills to make an income, while those who develop for community will stick it out and reupload the songs and audio to keep their experiences alive.
Just some random food for thought, I fall in the ladder. I grew up on the platform and have been on it for nearly 12 years, so me and my games aren’t going anywhere anytime soon.

8 Likes

im not a big fan of this update, i tried to upload ORIGINAL audio but it got copyright striked? whats going on

2 Likes

This is complete garbage… This is one of the reasons all of my friends quit Roblox… so dumb

3 Likes

Not necessarily.

I don’t develop for profit and I’m leaving because it takes way too much effort to maintain large games while I’m constantly changing them for recent updates. Its not sustainable to constantly fix everything because of Roblox, while I should be working on the actual game itself. I’m switching to Unreal Engine or Unity because it has sustainable builds, won’t break projects without warning, and has a lot more features and support. If one of these engines decides to remove all audio (not that they could but lets just say) then all I have to do to not opt in, is use a different engine version. That’s it! Not hours of fixing things over and over just for another update to break them.

9 Likes

All the audio that has been fine for years is getting set to private, nobody wants to play Roblox music that sounds like it’s from a royalty-free background music website on their boomboxes. It isn’t just arbitrary to play music, if there is no problem with copyright and it’s been approved for moderation, why take it down? This is going to break some games and make almost all games sound worse, especially hangouts where one of the key parts of the game is a long audio list for players to listen to. If this is released expect a large number of games and their quality to go down. Roblox should have good enough lawyers to keep from getting sued if a kid’s copyrighted audio is up for a few hours and this update just seems paranoid.

5 Likes

I just made my own audio, seems pretty cool ngl.