[Action Needed] Upcoming Changes to Asset Privacy for Audio

This. They could have handled this far sooner and in a far more developer-friendly way, but as always, Roblox does the bare minimum when they have no other choice because of their own lack of responsibility. Instead of tackling it early on, they choose to wait until it truly comes back to bite them in the ass. Then, they shift responsibility to their developers to “fix” things that weren’t broken (because Roblox decided they weren’t broken), despite those developers growing accustomed to those systems for several years, with no fore-warning of this happening.

It truly shows just how little they care about their developers.

7 Likes

This update is great!, i can’t wait until they do it with the rest also!, this will safe guard your work! now the limit of 10-100 is a bit silly i will agree there, 100 default would be more understandable, as making combat systems or even just a game in general, normally has a lot of Songs/Sound affects so on, so being limited to 10 aka younger devs on the platform, that don’t have valid ID, due to well Parents not Updating their Passports etc, this will cause issues, But again, this has its Pros and Cons, and towards the comment were you stated lack of skill, well you could always hire, or get someone in your project that has the skill level to do that side for you, Its like Animations for example, you normally make them yourself, or you hire someone, or get someone to do them for you, Or again could go to that free model selection area i suppose but, as stated you are a dev, so you most likely like to use your own assets correct? so this shouldn’t be a issue in the long run! but i do think already posted audio the creator of such should have the perms to allow it to be free never the less.

Okay, no offense to Roblox corporation here But I hope someone reads this

As a small game developer, I am more than mad at this change. I have multiple audio assets in my game from the catalog because making audio myself is way too hard. I have 3 games that I have audio in and now you’re just saying I have to make my games silent?? I think if this is the case I may just stop developing or etc.

Whoever thought of this I can see their point of view, but there are thousands of developers who have audio assets from the roblox catalog in their games. Developers such as Wolfpaq or Coeptus have “boombox” gamepasses in their games for robux. I just so happened to pay for BOTH of those, and now I feel scammed. Roblox doesn’t offer refunds. Game developers don’t give refunds, so we got scammed technically! I just bought the “Welcome to Bloxburg” radio gamepass a few days ago, and to find this announcement just blows my mind.

I feel scammed out of my Robux and I expect a refund because I spent MY MONEY and you spent your money on the gamepasses. Roblox most likely wont be giving us a refund and for people like you and me who spent our real life money on this we don’t get a refund! Wow Roblox… wow.

7 Likes

I agree wil you 100%!!! (had to put alot of ! so I can post it bc of 30 cac)

You’re 100% correct.

I’m not sure where this “you can’t blame roblox” stuff came from. These guys are no longer a little guy anymore, they’re a billion dollar publicly traded company. Like you said, they had YEARS to prepare an update like this and warn us or even actually purchase a music license through a big record label (they’ve got the money, trust me), but instead they’re giving us less then a few weeks cause someone finally hit them where it hurts and essentially ruining sound on roblox.

5 Likes

As if.
I been on roblox since 2013, started dev in 2016-2017 ish
As a player and a dev. I haven’t seen much improvement and more downgrades
Was removing Super Safe Chat a good choice? Questionable. Was making the filter stupidly strict a good move? Questionable at best. Was removing guests a good move? Yes and no.
Roblox has done good, I won’t lie.
They redid R15 due to backlash, they delayed Rthro for a while.

Roblox has done good but it’s just seems to be getting bad now, it’s updates keep breaking more and more stuff which worked fine. They even are planning to roll this out to other assets.
They sued a guy who tried to help them.
Roblox isn’t doomed, but it’s far from doing stuff which will help it’s future.

3 Likes

short answer is, copyright holders.

Welcome to the future of Roblox! Where everything is ruined! So cool right? You now can upload audio 10 per month, which shouldn’t be enough replacing all game sfx!

4 Likes

roblox won’t care as long as they can continue to count the fat stacks of cash they’re making

1 Like

I think all developers can relate to this exact reply, lol

Exactly! This whole situation just continues to frustrate me. :unamused:

1 Like

After almost 24 hours, I finally got 1 of my audio uploads to be approved, definitely not suffering at all

5 Likes

And at the future, there’s only business here too! Nothing to worry about right?

Yeah lol

Ah yes, I’ll use money I don’t have to hire people.

Most small devs do it out of passion or to learn.
Most of the time small devs don’t have the money to hire someone.
I don’t run ACS, it’s a free to use combat system a bunch of much more skilled people made for others to use, and design their own guns for it.
I’m a small dev, I don’t have the time to make my own assets, I have other things to do. I’m taking a game design course, it’s in unity.

I use free models, ACS is a free model gun system , viethin is a free model gun system.
I even see front page games that use free models.

This update, as I said before in my first few posts on this.
Hurts small devs in massive ways.

1 Like

What will developers like you do with the “Radio” gamepass? Since it will be basically useless after this.
If it gets taken offsale the players who bought it should get some kind of compensation.

As per most people under this topic, this isn’t necessarily acceptable. I do not entirely support this change. In just about 10 days, all audio assets longer than 6 seconds will not be accessible if you don’t own any of them, which I find a little ridiculous.

Then comes the “Free Audio Uploads”, which you can now upload audio for free… but with a monthly limit. Seems like a good addition in replacement for removing thousands, if not millions, of preexisting audio. I understand that this monthly limit is to avoid spam and all, but the fact that you’d have to wait until 30 days to finish to be able to upload the same amount you can upload is generally a bad idea (mostly for people who can upload 10 and/or 100 per month with hundreds of audios to replace). For me, I can only upload 10 audio files within 30 days, which is definitely a bummer as an active developer.

I just dislike how all existing audio assets will be private. This is totally unnecessary. The private option is already good enough, why automatically set every audio asset to private?

I am aware of the copyright lawsuit, which is likely the reason why this update is happening in the first place. But if this is really the reason, I can understand why they are doing this. But what they really should fix is the moderation system… There is just so many problems with roblox, to the point where Roblox needs to suffer to realize what wrong they have been doing to their platform.

This will possibly be the worst rated update in roblox in history. But if this update does happen, hopefully it won’t be as bad as it sounds.

5 Likes

I think some developers won’t give compensation just yet because either they are waiting for the change to be executed or for it to be cancelled or put on hold.

1 Like

Roblox’s developer community is already crumbling because of this, So Roblox will be going extremely downhill from here on out if this comes out to actually happen.

I’ve already lost all of my workflow and game projects because of this, Only a matter of time before I move entirely if this actually happens.

2 Likes

One of the developers for a game I work on received a 7 day long ban for reuploading audio to the group that hosts the game in compliance with the update.

We have over hundreds of audios that need to be reuploaded, and we don’t have the time to check what could be minutes upon minutes of audios given our schedules and the time span Roblox gave us.

This is unacceptable, we shouldn’t be given bans for complying with this awful update.

21 Likes

Exact , and I believe you need have the rights to use it .