[Action Needed] Upcoming Changes to Asset Privacy for Audio

Well, this is gonna be fun when war breaks out…
Btw, horrible update, free audios are cool but uhhh I think you get the gist of the rest…

2 Likes

Berdad hay que poner alguna rextrinsion a algunos audios malo

They’re doing banwaves for copyrighted audio again and it has been getting LOTS of them

2 Likes

We have yet to see an actual reply from Roblox staff regarding the massive backlash.

Godot is looking real good right now, just saying.

7 Likes

It is possible that even models and meshes will get this update.

1 Like

Oh no. Roblox doomsday is nearby-

6 Likes

The privatising won’t be forced on the Models, Meshes & Animations, pretty sure it will be optional atleast. If they force it on them aswell, then everyone might aswell take their bags with what’s left and move out of Roblox. I have over 250 Audios to reupload, that’s over 2 years of uploading and the fact that Alts are useless for 2 reasons: Can’t use Audios created by others. Audios Created by Group Owners/Devs instead of the Group won’t count either.

2 Likes

This is such a bad update, I don’t think I even need to explain why.

5 Likes

Yeah. And for the lawsuit thing. Roblox can/should be able to easily win this because they as a corporation wern’t responsible for uploading the copyrighted music. The users did. Roblox does have a repeat infringer policy. Roblox should be able to claim for “safe harbor” protection under the DMCA. The same thing happened when Viacom sued Youtube back in 2009. Youtube won for falling under safe harbor.

4 Likes

This has been said countless times but this is unacceptable.
Since not only will this count for audios, it will also count for different types of assets in the future.

Roblox is spitting on developers more and more with all of these crap updates…

1 Like

While I still do not like this update, I won’t quit or go on strike. I am not about to learn how to use another engine. We’ll just have to get used to it. Remember COPPA and dislikes being removed and how everyone complained about it then git used to it after about a month. People threatening to quit isn’t new and happens all the time. Zeke and Luther, Robloxian 2.0, Clothing fee, Rthro and it goes on and on.
I’m gonna be real here; No one cares about you leaving. No one cares about you going on strike, they won’t change the update and you’ll just have to deal with it.

This @writejsk (phire/PhireFox) video from 2013 still holds up pretty well with my point: I'm Quitting ROBLOX (A Funny Roblox Machinima by Phire) - YouTube

9 Likes

roblox what on earth are you doing

5 Likes

While this update has the potential to solve some sound related problems, i think it limits the “sharing” and community part of roblox; also if i understand correctly, this will break all boomboxes and their respective gamepasses, removing once another of roblox nostalgic features.

1 Like

Then again, Roblox moderation is a lot worse than Youtube’s, so maybe that would give the music companies a claim…

2 Likes

How on earth are licensees even supposed to prove they own the license to music to use in their game?
There is no way to do this with roblox.
How are we meant to prove that we own the license to a track to play in our game without being able to link anything in its description?
If we can’t provide the license with the audio, then there is ZERO way to license music legitemately.
Include a way to provide licenses.

If you want to be taken seriously as a game engine there is no way this can be done.

6 Likes

No one cares about you leaving. No one cares about you going on strike, they won’t change the update and you’ll just have to deal with it.

if there are enough people that leave they will for sure care, what is with your attitude?

3 Likes

Title II of the DMCA is called the Online Copyright Infringement Limited Liability Act—otherwise known as the Safe Harbor Provision. This provision limits the liability of an Internet service provider for user-created copyright infringement so that the company itself is not at fault for a random comment someone posts.

I do have to admit I am no lawyer, but it sure does seem like ROBLOX has the power to fight back against these lawsuits. They are already proactive about copyright, sometimes too much; this just seems like they don’t want to risk the money to contest these claims and rather punish the developers.

If we, the people of this platform, just adapt and overcome this update, it will be a message to ROBLOX. One that tells them we can be pushed around. They already plan to push this update to separate areas, like Meshes. If we do not actively go against these changes in a way that impacts them, they will keep making horrible decisions in the benefit of their purses at the expense of our experience.

12 Likes

According to me, the best update for small developers who are dying of curiosity that how to upload music but at the same time it is the worst update for large-scale developers!

I think it really depends on how many uploads you get; it’s unclear how they are settled.

For example, I have 10 per month.
If I make anything new, it’s going to have to be extremely limited…

i wonder if they’ve actually worked to help anyone yet
i would assume not

4 Likes