[Action Needed] Upcoming Changes to Asset Privacy for Audio

I like the roots of this change, but it seems really excessive to retroactively privatize every audio uploaded before now.

Think of it like this: Any developer that has been really adamant about wanting a way to make their audios private would hear about this change and privatize their audios as soon as possible. However, when you shut out years of old public audio uploads in the name of privacy, you’re essentially protecting a group of assets that really didn’t need any protecting in the first place. Anybody who uploaded anything a long time ago already knows that it’s possible for other people to use it, and probably doesn’t care much.

Please seriously reconsider the decision to automatically privatize old audios. Users that don’t care if someone else uses them, or are banned for unrelated reasons, will have their audios permanently unavailable due to a choice

Edit: Oh, and by the way, a lot of iconic Roblox audios were uploaded by former Roblox administrators clockwork and RobloSam, among others. Please make sure their audios are whitelisted from this change.

12 Likes

this update may genuinely be the worst business decision roblox has ever made.
we need to show roblox that we aren’t willing to put up with updates that nobody wants, and updates that do nothing but harm for the platform

6 Likes

About 4 days ago I made a post complaining about the cost of uploading audios just to have our purchased audios deleted for one reason or another. Half the time without a refund. Within the next two days I had about 16 audios removed and 350 robux returned for each. As for the new change, this absolutely will solve that problem.

Thank you Roblox.

2 Likes

i did ithis before they raising to 2000 now i only have 97 by the end of the month

1 Like

52 Likes

Amazing, yet another useless update nobody asked for that breaks existing experiences across the website. First that animation update and now this.

Thanks Roblox, very cool.

8 Likes

Hi BIT!
Unfortunately, this method will only work for those who received the broken 2000 uploads per month limit. Others will definitely have more than 10, or even 100 sounds to reupload.

2 Likes

As many people have stated, I’ll reiterate what I think as to hope that Roblox will listen.

Please do NOT force a private status on existing audio.

People who uploaded audio already have most likely accepted the fact that it’s up there for public use, as that’s how it’s been for years.

I love the private feature, and I think it’s a great addition to have, but forcing already “public” audio to go private is nothing more than a nuisance for both players and developers. There are so many drawbacks than benefits, and if the owners are even still active and don’t want their audio public, they can private it now. The audio limit is a mixed bag, but I think that’s a lot more tolerable because there is at least something we can do about it.

Please reconsider this change Roblox. Nothing good will come out of this in it’s current state.

6 Likes

Wait, you can’t upload audio for robux after the free limit?
This is even worse than I thought it was.

1 Like

What determines your monthly limit? Some people I know have 2000, others have 100. I heard ID verification, but what else? And is that limit a hard limit? Or will we be able to pay for additional audio over that limit?

Also, please reconsider retroactively privatizing all audio >6 seconds. A lot of experiences big and small use audio uploaded by other people who probably aren’t even active on Roblox anymore, and it’s not going to be easy for everyone to replace all of these sounds.

(Apologies if any of this has already been said, the forum is being very slow and it is impossible to search)

Thank you for this resource!!! This might end up being the only solution from now on…

Best of wishes to the roblox servers that will now experience a flood of identical audio files being uploaded dozens of times :revolving_hearts:

2 Likes

Ok, this is both a good and bad for me.

Pros: Free audio uploads, no more spending robux

Audio discovery plugin

More copyright free songs

Cons: Audio not uploaded by your own group or account will stop working

Radios and boomboxes won’t work

My opinion: While this update is partially good, I am still bothered by the point that we can’t use audio we did not upload, even though for some offsale audio, its ok to use. And, 10 audios a month is only good if your not making a game. I’m still not comfortable letting Roblox scan my id. I hope they fix this, but they probobly won’t.

5 Likes

This is showing up when I view a published group game under a group that I own, saying that I don’t have permission for the audios that I uploaded:

3 Likes

What Roblox thinks right now:

9 Likes

This update needs improvement on the threshold and audios you bought from creators. Hear me out.

The threshold for uploading audio should be at least 20 times. However, those who have Premium should have more similar to the amount for ID Verified players. I find it unfair that a game developer may want to upload more than 10 audios in a month for their game, then have to wait the next month for their limit to reset. It’s horrible! Just have the players pay an additional robux fee if they exceed the limit.

Privacy? I bought copies of creator audios and technically they’re not going to remain available starting on March 22nd. I had this audio in my inventory and Roblox decided to mark this asset I didn’t own as unavailable to play? That’s just a biggest disappointment. I have a ton of audios set by scripts like Adonis in my game and the majority is completely denied with Xs.

If audio privacy is a concern for most game developers, shouldn’t the audios become widely available to those who bought the copy? Overall, the privacy option should be preferred by the audio creator if they want it accessible in certain places or/and visible to the marketplace.

The details of audio threshold are still lacking specific details about bypass and users who are just created their account in less than a month. In addition, I recommend reconsidering the perspective of this new change. It’s unbelivably not fair for most of us with public audios.

3 Likes

Yes I’m 100% certain I’ve opened it in a published place. The place is part of a universe - so it’s a sub-place of a larger game.

This occurs in the following games:
#1:
Game ID: 1221933810
Place ID: 3426934295

#2:
Game ID: 1409987237
Place ID: 5057078743

1 Like

HAHAH this is amazing. I have a rollercoaster of emotions over this.

3 Likes

We did, but at what cost…?

1 Like

I really wished that existing audio was not automatically set to private, any audio that has copying enabled should be left as not private, a LOT of games are going to have broken audio for quite awhile…

1 Like

Even the time checker in the Audio Discovery section isn’t ideal.

Clearly, I have sounds that fall under 6 seconds yet they’re marked as not clear.
Roblox rounds the Time float to an Integer, and anything literally six seconds or over after the round doesn’t clear.

World class, Roblox. Absolutely world class.

Do not force existing sounds to Private. For the love of anything and everything, listen to us.

8 Likes