[Action Needed] Upcoming Changes to Asset Privacy for Audio

you are not even allowed to pay for extra audio once you hit your upload limit
this “upcoming change” is extremely shortsighted and rushed

20 Likes

it would be very nice if audio could be whitelisted to certain people or groups. it’d be very tedious to move hundreds of sounds over to another group/person to use it.

3 Likes

We need to be able to pay for audio once we reach the monthly limit. I’d straight up rather paid audio like before rather than audio ever being free to upload, this monthly limit is awful.
Existing audio should NOT be affected.
We should be able to set permissions to allow users and groups to use our audio while it still being private. Especially for development groups. I really hope that group games with audio uploaded by the group owner still work, otherwise my games will the completely dead silent.
Most games, such as my own, use third party audio, this update will break most games, and I hate it.
A LOT of code relies on waiting for audio to become loaded, some games will be outright unplayable because of this update.

6 Likes

I appreciate Roblox’s commitment to making sure we’re not accidentally leaving our audio assets public by accident.

But surely, if the goal is to ensure creators don’t inadvertedly have massive backlogs of unsecured audio, the correct solution is to give them a tool to help find older audio assets and secure them, rather than assuming the unknowable intentions of every author on the website and acting on their behalf on mass for a purpose you even tacitly acknowledge you can’t be sure is the correct move for everyone?

17 Likes

:sad: You had me with this update and then you lost me.

9 Likes

This will likely be buried but, this change hurts. And what hurts more is there’s no official way to verify if we own the rights to sounds we’re uploading. I can only hope there’s a system incoming that allows us to verify our licenses on audio we upload.

With the sudden announcement and short notice, I can only guess there was a music label behind the scenes complaining and Roblox bargained with them to roll this system out within a few weeks instead of beginning a lawsuit.

I totally get why it needs to be done. Content on Roblox is the wild west with no real rules. It’s just adapting to this change won’t be quick and easy and proving rights seems not possible currently.

51 Likes

Seems like it. My discord hasn’t been able to find out the cause, and we’ve been bouncing ideas around for a while. This is annoying.

4 Likes

What about all of the Roblox games that rely solely on sound effects and music?

5 Likes

Roblox really likes breaking stuff.

7 Likes

Woah, this is awesome that it is free and you can set it to who can use it! Will you be able to play the audio on the Roblox website when its private?

1 Like

???
So basically, all the audio that always was and is freely available in the Toolbox, in models or on their own, will be private? Nice.

You are planning to let users upload more audio with Robux, right? Please don’t even tell me you don’t.

1 Like

Alternative method for those who don’t want / can’t get the extension:

1. Open the audio page in your browser using the method shown by @BuildIntoTrains and then open inspect element. (Right Click > Inspect or just CTRL + SHIFT + i.

2. When inspect is open press this little guy. It might look different on other browsers but it allows you to select elements on screen by clicking them.

3. Hover over the play button and click.

4. Navigate to the side with all of the weird coding stuff and find the rbxcdn.com link shown here:

5. Copy that link fully and paste it into the address bar. It should download the audio or bring you to a page where you can save the audio file.

14 Likes

While having audio uploads without a fee is a pretty sweet thing, I don’t think I’m able to accept not using audios from other uploaders anymore.

5 Likes

Don’t be fooled by audio uploading becoming free you’ll still need to re-upload mountains of audio, yet another update Roblox is making that forces developers to go through mountains of content just to fix their games just like the blend fix update that has been a problem for every single developer relying on the old animation system.

11 Likes

this might actually be the worst update in the entirety of roblox history.

there are an astronomical amount of both communities and games that are going to be completely destroyed due to this.

16 Likes

I really hate that existing audio will be privated. A LOT of games rely on third party audio because it was free to access on the audio library, or given to them by a friend. I really hope that existing audio remains untouched, because people who actually want their audio private will go out of their way to do so, but people who upload LOTS of audio, such as developers who use a mixture of sounds for realistic engines or other objects, will have to go through every single audio and re-public it, or to go by each audio and to public it one by one just so their own group or the group they develop for can use it.

8 Likes

Was thinking this as well, there was a huge copyright strike wave over the past 2 days.

I hate UME, really.

10 Likes

55 Likes

This seems like something that should absolutely be reworked or reconsidered. I know a lot of other developers, including myself, uploaded tons of audio, images, meshes, and so on to their personal accounts that were solely intended for use in group games, for a variety of reasons. Considering it was the only way for me to have sounds load into studio to work with while they were in the moderation queue, that is how I handled most of our audio uploads to keep my workflow moving, with no indication that who owned the asset would ever be an issue as long as they had development access. I suspect this is probably an extremely widespread issue.

I completely understand these changes for all NEW assets uploaded, but surely it’s not too much to ask for me to be allowed to use my own audio in a group experience that I also own, without having to either re-upload everything I’ve ever uploaded, or wait for this change to take affect and then adjust privacy settings that I don’t want to be automatically adjusted?

11 Likes

What will happen to the audio/songs uploaded prior to 2013? Music for a Film? The Opened Way? Better Off Alone Remix? Attack of The Bumble Bee? Schala Theme? Spanish Guitar? Gothic Zero Project? Winds of Fjords? No, Really? Foggy Mountain? M.U.L.E.? What will happen to those songs?

7 Likes