[Action Needed] Upcoming Changes to Asset Privacy for Audio

Y’know if there was a reason to quit Roblox, this is one of the major ones, along with the Animation break update they plan to release, What an amazing update Roblox, thanks for breaking spirits of Developers :smiley:

6 Likes

WOW. I’m impressed. You guys managed to create an update so polarizing that it broke the devforum.

15 Likes

Roblox: powering a need for alt accounts

@nidbahn
On another note seeing as we have slowmode rn I will just combine post, It appears DevX triggers increased uploads

1 Like

Unsure why people are celebrating this change… this will break arguably every game on Roblox that has sound on it. I have dozens of games, I don’t wanna have to go back to all these places and find what sounds are working, etc. The idea that I need to upload sounds to the specific ownership of the game is also complete garbage. Feels similar to how animations currently work, which is beyond frustrating. I don’t get why this needs to be added, there are millions of other ways you could about doing this. Not happy with this one and hope something gets done about it before it’s fully rolled out

10 Likes

Most of this update looks really good except for one thing. “all existing audio longer than 6 seconds will be set to Private.” this is concerning.

• Creators will have to tediously unprivate they’re uploaded audios.

• Uploaded audios by people who no longer use Roblox will become utterly useless.

let us private our audios ourselves instead of automatically setting audios to private.

1 Like

Okay, but my game won’t get banned?

1 Like

Except alt accounts won’t work, since the audios need to be uploaded under the group/user who wants to use the audio.

1 Like

I really like the fact that audio will be free to upload now, the only issue will be people bypassing the moderation. There will be no way to fix that as the people who bypass audios will always have a “new method” of doing this. People bypass the audio moderator with the fee of uploading, now it’s free which means it’s gonna get BAD very very fast and even if Roblox hires a ton of moderators this issue cannot be fixed.

1 Like

As I am not allowed to edit posts at the moment, I just want to make it clear that requiring ID verification for a decent amount of audio uploads/month, is an absolutely TERRIBLE idea. I don’t think most devs have or will verify their age. Make it a premium feature, or better, just set 100 uploads as the default monthly max.

5 Likes

In my opinion I think it should work like this

Normal user: 25,
Premium user: 50,
Age-verifyed user: 100.

3 Likes

Some parts of this change I agree with. However, there is a major reason why I believe existing audio files should not be forced to be private by default, especially with such short notice. A lot of you will probably disagree with me, but my main problem is with the amount of inactive creators whose experiences are still running properly and rely on free-to-take UGC audio files for their enhancement.

I agree that new files uploaded should be private by default and that there should be an OPTION to make these assets public/private, but forcing EXISTING assets private by default could cause out-of-date experiences (that have had little or no problems) to malfunction or lose their character especially if they didn’t use audio that the creator uploaded…who knows it might be a 50/50 chance that the creator didn’t upload his or her game music.

Plus, if audio creators have quit or taken a long hiatus, there’s a good chance they might not realize that they have to log on and manually make their audio assets public again. It is for that reason that I believe the complete privatization of audio should be optional and should NOT be forced on EXISTING assets.

4 Likes

Roblox: powering a need for alt accounts

lets see. 20 alts times ten is 200 audios a month, that should be good.
I honestly would be surprised if services start popping up that utilize bots to upload audio for people.

6 Likes

Damn 2 audios were removed after this changes were made

Atleast i got refunds

4 Likes

Have never devexed but have the 2000 monthly limit. Honestly just seems to be completely random at the moment

Huge L by Roblox.
All future audio should be Private but I HARDLY see the need to FORCE it onto past audio - much of which was INTENDED to be freely used and has now been spit on by Roblox.

Beyond that, for a development studio 100 songs a month max for verified users is pathetically low, and will barely meet the quota for smaller sized games let alone large projects.

Roblox. Ech. Why.

7 Likes

This update is literally terrible.
Sure, free audio uploads, but don’t let that distract ya’ll from the fact that so many games are gonna get completely broken over all this audio muting.

6 Likes

Earlier someone said they sometimes upload like up to 50 audios per day. No thought was given to people who upload lots of audio. And from what I’m getting here, there isn’t really a way to increase that limit, and it seems to greatly vary from person to person. This whole thing is a mess and they need to rethink it.

3 Likes

I think you’re missing the point, it won’t even matter because you won’t be able to use sounds uploaded by other people regardless.

1 Like

Freely using copyrighted content on Roblox had to have an expiration date.

But this? This is not a solution.

Working with multiple team members throughout multiple groups becomes a massive pain in the neck.
Both the work requiring to patch our current law-abiding games and development in the future is now a daunting task.

Do we go back through hundreds of audio assets in our Development group, download them using an external tool, reupload them to our Live Games group?
In order to publish the game on the Live game, we’ll have to use the Live Games group’s asset IDs… but does that mean our Development version of the game is going to be silent now?

Of course not, all we have to do is go through every single asset in the Development group and manually allow copying so that the Live game can use them!.. but wait… that doesn’t solve the copyright issue!! Now anyone can copy our sounds just like they could before anyway!

What if we’ve uploaded hundreds of audio assets that we own the license to, and you just disabled copying on? Where’s our tool to undo this change?

The carelessness by which you roll out these changes are baffling sometimes

6 Likes

Thanks so much for this! I asked for this for a bit. It will be very hard to remove audio and sound effects that are private because the account that made them would be most likely inactive therefore not letting the sounds from marketplace play.

Also, is there some way we can download an existing audio in our experiences and reupload it?

1 Like