[Action Needed] Upcoming Changes to Asset Privacy for Audio

we should have the right to use our own audio
i think i speak for everyone when i say that i dont want to re upload every single sfx just because it was under my account and not under my group (which i also own, the game of the group that i also indeed own)

1 Like

The copyright system already in place was doing an incredible job of monitoring copyrighted and unlicensed audio. In fact, lately it has been incredibly active and has seemingly taken care of almost 99% of copyrighted material Iā€™ve seen on the library. The ability to control how your audio was used in games was also already present, and although the improvements made to that feature in that you can control who can use your audio in games is amazing, it should ABSOLUTELY NOT come at the cost of breaking the audio of every single game on the entire platform in the slightest.

7 Likes

as someone who heavily relies on the audio toolbox, this update would just be an added pet peeve for me, but i can see where theyā€™re going with this.

i definitely donā€™t like it, but iā€™ll support it.

2 Likes

no, just no.

(for characters)

Iā€™m happy that weā€™re finally able to upload audios for free, but at the same time, Iā€™m upset that I will need to go through the countless audios Iā€™ve uploaded for private use on an alternate account that are over 6 seconds long if I want my experience to still have audio.

How is it ridiculous?
they do have a lot of correlation actually. I have an entire video explaining it if you want to go check it out you can?

Also, because you didnā€™t see my video or read my previous posts, I said that people should TEMPORARLY stop what theyā€™re doing NOT permanently.

5 Likes

This is ONE perspective, what about scripters? We have to rescript hundreds of scripts so they dont break(as if u try to play audios not owned by u on the 22nd, your script will error and stop working)

A good change would be making audio not work if it was PRIVATE and NOT owned by you. Otherwise, the current system will be terrible

By compromise you mean telling you that you can have stock audio that doesnā€™t even fit with your game. Terrible update. We got free audio uploads but at what cost.

9 Likes

I agree, but thereā€™s a possibility that UMG (the music company suing roblox for 200M$ for this exact reason) pressured roblox into making a more nuclear solution and this could be what they came up with before any sort of deadlines. I hope this wonā€™t be a permanent thing but weā€™ll just have to wait and see.

3 Likes

^^ This.

I highly doubt this will remain as draconian and restrictive as it is now. I think Roblox likely was forced into making a rapid decision given how tight this timeline is. I have faith they wouldnā€™t give us such little notice if they could help it, especially because theyā€™re giving us way more notice on other more minor changes.

6 Likes

Can you show the output? (either dm me it or just reply with it)
I havenā€™t opened studio since this stuff got released so Iā€™m kinda scared that all my stuff is broken lol

Roblox be like:

ezgif.com-gif-maker (2)

This change will break mostly likely nearly all games. Very disappointed and hope that things are rethought before this takes affect.

24 Likes

If scripted correctly or decently, nothing about the game should break except for the developer/developer team should simply get a error in their output saying the audio doesnā€™t exist or ='s 0, etc. A simple audio went gone wonā€™t destroy games for good, at least for most Iā€™d believe.

Example for scripters:
Sound.SoundID = 12345
If Sound.SoundID = 0 then
Sound:Destroy
end

Just a quick add like this should work fine? Iā€™ve implemented similar (more complex of course) scripts like that into my game, and my game works 100% fine.

Wait, come back! By March 22, our current licensed music catalog will receive a newly curated selection of more than 100,000 rights-cleared songs and more than 100,000 new professionally-produced SFX from top audio and music partners like APM, Monstercat, Pro Sound Effects, Nettwerk Music Group and Position Music for you to use! You canā€™t leave now! Itā€™s only just getting good!

1 Like

My full expaination is hereā€¦
I had no other choice but that, and I am not gonna wait for little tiny changes time by time.

Not everyone wants to use generic audios by Roblox and a b tier electro-pop label, not everyone can make their own audios tho.

This really isnā€™t a middle ground in any capacity when it comes at the cost of breaking the audio of most games on the entire platform, especially when you consider that the justification for this really isnā€™t necessary or plausible in the slightest. The copyright system already put in place was doing its job effectively as is and lately has received improvements that have cleared most of the copyrighted material on the audio library. I do not see how this is supposed to remedy copyrighted audio whatsoever when people, if they could, could still just upload the audio privately and use it in their game.

It definitely does not appear that Roblox is trying to help us here when theyā€™re asking us to go through every single audio weā€™ve ever uploaded and unprivate them to compensate for the changes manually. The changes regarding the ability to change who is able to use your audio in games is awesome, but it should have been its own update.

3 Likes

It wont happen until the 22nd, but if uā€™ve ever opened an audio from the toolbox you had a chance of getting the error of

ā€œfailed to load[SOUNDASSETID]ā€ or something like this. This will start to happen to you if you have an audio inside ur game not owned by u starting on the 22nd.

1 Like

This is a horrible idea coming from Roblox. We get free audios - Sure, But at what cost? The majority of the UGC Library of audio. This will affect loads of games at large, specifically the ones that arenā€™t relatively updated by the developers anymore, or canā€™t actually upload any audios because they canā€™t find any or make any.

1/10 Update Roblox. This can dramatically affect everyone in the worst way. We get free audios, Yes. But the opposing side of losing the entirety of the UGC Audio library is way more of a massive drawback than a disadvantage.

Screenshot_20220310-095021_YouTube

Jokes aside, this update beats tix removal update in being the worst.

14 Likes

Im so excited that great updated to see this become available to asset privacy for audio

also thank you for updated to supporting for audio free you can just 10 per 30 days as you want program, but thx helpful to almost them public much likee that made new music or audio think i can helpful by the time release own games as they free audios as one point they show them working on project audio, even them change for like roblox as they did to free uploads when 10 per 30 days.

1 Like