[Action Needed] Upcoming Changes to Asset Privacy for Audio

It is not “very ignorant”, at no point in this dev forum post did Roblox explain why they are doing it. All they said was:

"Respecting Content Creator Rights

Roblox is a platform where anyone can create and we have a responsibility to ensure our tools and systems respect the rights of all content creators.

Easy access to public assets has allowed developers to build amazing experiences using incredible content uploaded by creators from around the world. However, as we enable more UGC on our platform, we believe that creators will want to better control the availability, manner of distribution, and value of their creations.

By establishing that audio asset uploads are private by default, we will empower these creators to better manage their creative work. In the future, we will expand this to include other asset types."

This is not a reason, it’s a nudge that copyright might be the reason but nowhere do they state this.

2 Likes

Roblox has entered their stagnant corporate stage, unless it potentially hurts their money, why would or should they care? I think the best way to petition at the moment, until something more proper is set up, is to:

Speaking of which; Roblox has proved to be a liability to develop and maintain games on, at least standalone games pre-2010 only had compatibility issues that can usually be hacked or worked around (legally). However, now you have pray that Roblox doesn’t make a stupid decision every few months or so. Seeing the pile of awful decisions this company has made, I will likely never spend money on this platform again, and I personally recommend that others follow for aforementioned reasons. After I finish up anything I got going on on this platform, I’m probably going to switch to using Godot as a primary game engine, maybe even develop with OpenGL directly.

As a 16 year old aspiring game developer, It is my personal opinion that Roblox is no longer a platform for genuinely expressing creativity and technical skill to your fullest extent, it is now David Bazooka’s personal money printer :crazy_face:, goodbye Roblox! (later). It is time for me to start a new chapter in my game development journey.

7 Likes

I, and countless others, will not stand for this injustice.

We were able to halt the Materials update.

We have done it once, and we will do it again!

Long Live Our Public Audio!

5 Likes

ah ok, thank you for the clarification
I get what you’re saying now

1 Like

Dw dw, i got u Petition · Revert Roblox audio update · Change.org

2 Likes

I feel very bad for you. I thought all the classical music I found on the toolbox getting deleted was bad.

1 Like

I’m loving how we’re given two weeks to make drastic changes, great transparency as always

4 Likes

There’s no better way to put this; this wasn’t a well thought-out change.

A hard limit? Really? Not even a Robux purchase can increase the limit?

A huge negative on this. Please consider your updates / changes before going through with them. At least ask the community.

This would’ve been good, if not for that hard limit that can’t even be bypassed via Robux.

2 Likes

They did it because they got sued for $200M and a partnership was the only way to wiggle out of it, not because some suckups sucked up too much.

4 Likes

This is a great update, however I have a problem with how existing audios are being handled.

This is a horrible change, many developers and myself rely on audio uploaded by other users, and with this update about 60% of these audios will be just set to private. PLEASE DON’T DO THIS

4 Likes

Some good news here, a lot of annoying bits too. All old audio greater than 6 second are going to be set to private and get this there’s going to be no way “you’ll” get to set it public when they launch this. I use a lot of my own sounds but I can’t make every sound and the ones you’ll supply us will likely have no use to me T_T. Oh and I’m 1 of the poor suckers with only 10 uploads a month, !@$^!!! Goodnight.

2 Likes

Please, 70% of my audio in my games which are instrumentals got copyrighted as well. It’s a pain to reupload more than 400+ soundtrack because of this. My game’s core gameplay is all about music. I lose a lot of players and I receive complains about the music not working. Music/Rhythm games are heavily affected by this. Please do something about it or just uncopyright the songs that were not supposed to be copyrighted.

3 Likes

There’s just so many issues with this update, I don’t even understand how to start.

I’m just going to start with the positive, the elephant in the room! FREE AUDIOS… at the price to pay for tons of bypassed audios.

Now with the negatives!

Public audios being rekt. Tons of time replacing the audios, and maybe even tons of money if you don’t have a verified account :'D!

I’ve stated time and time again and I do not have any of these verification methods, and most young developers do not meet the verification requirements.

It’s amazing that Roblox is branching out to free audios, but this is just not the way to go.

3 Likes

im sorry, but im going to be honest, petitions especially on change.org do nothing. don’t bother

4 Likes

Unity keeps looking like a better option. It’s sad but roblox keeps doing stuff like this. How long until they decide you need an ID to even make a game? at this rate probably soon.

7 Likes

Almost nobody here seriously thinks that Roblox is a perfect platform, and by strawmanning people like that you ironically allow Roblox to evade responsibility further, by suggesting it’s all our fault. Don’t do that.

Roblox staff weren’t sat in a board room meeting wagering whether to do this update based on community support. They were either fully aware of the damage it would do, or didn’t think to consider it. The reaction of the player base would have no effect unless it’s severely negative, like it is now. Hopefully they act on that.

7 Likes

Roblox is basically making it so we have to have id verification, we’ve seen this time and time again where roblox will start to make a certain feature more and more relevant. I feel as if soon in a few years, we’ll need ids to do almost everything.

First of all, what abt users under 13? They can’t verify

Some people in some countries can’t have ids because of local laws

People dont feel comfortable giving roblox this information. And thats OK.

Please roblox, dont do this again

6 Likes

Exactly. I remember when roblox used to be a really fun and intuitive platform. I beleive this decent started when tix was removed- I know that that sounds like somthing everyone says but beleive me- Roblox in 2011-2014 was fun. Now Roblox corperation is just greedy.

3 Likes

This is such a bad update, Roblox continues to break and ruin things for developers because they think it’s in their best interests and because they want an easy way out of why they’re doing this instead of cracking down on moderation.

Now games like Robeats, Funky Friday, etc… Will have to fix all their sounds and assets because of something like this and the amount of songs they have have to be reuploaded now. This is by far one of the stupidest updates I’ve ever seen. :-1:

5 Likes

this is also kind of a tu quoque type situation
its combatting criticism against roblox by criticizing the community
its a double decker facepalm

2 Likes