[Action Needed] Upcoming Changes to Asset Privacy for Audio

Change that benefits players pretty much anywhere is only going to really happen when the players are asking for it, aka feedback.

But when so many people keep talking about how Roblox does everything right and that every update is so great and how even the downtimes truly couldn’t be the fault of the company, the researchers and other employees at Roblox is going to see this as a positive thing and from there act less on what the community wants and instead pave a roadway for corporate demands to happen, e.g talent hub.

So yes, we as a playerbase need to change and be more real with our feedback and Roblox needs to be better at understanding us. Both are at fault, we let this happen to ourselves. This is a build-up that has happened for many years now.

3 Likes

The same thing happened to me. This update sucks

1 Like

In the doomsday scenario where this actually happens, you can download the audio from roblox, stitch the sounds into a single file, and script your way though.

1 Like

This is a really bad update in my opinion. So many games on the platform rely on other people’s audios to function. This means that after March 22, these games will be broken and silent.

Another thing is that when most of the audio is gone, people will very rarely be able to find real sound effects and music, just Roblox’s spammed music from APM, which is already annoying enough.

I’m actually considering quitting developing on Roblox over this. Thanks Roblox.

2 Likes

I don’t think this would be a smart idea. Yes, this will benefit IP rights, but assuming audio not uploaded by the creator is “copyrighted” would just do more harm than good to Roblox as a hole, in my opinion. Also making ALL audios private is like FORCING the Allow Copying switch OFF!

In fact many others use the audio library for years now, and the fact that its on the catalogue means the owner of the audio consented to anyone using their audio for their purpose!

I wish the best for Roblox if they will continue to push through with this change, but in my opinion, I would think twice!

5 Likes

Rest In Peace Music game passes…

This heavily affects game passes that allow users to use custom music. Having 6 seconds is not enough for a song… And knowing how the Roblox community is, being able to play YOUR OWN songs inside of the experience with the game pass is not possible.

I hope Roblox decides to revert this change just like they did with the materials. The current version of Bloxy Kart barely got affected, but Rewrite and Classic Edition use a lot of songs that aren’t contracted with Roblox. And Classic and Rewrite edition of Bloxy Kart are meant for NOSTALGIA purposes, and are not meant to be messed with.

2 Likes

Read the replies, a staff said it was intentional and you need to reupload it under the group, I don’t think I’ll be finding it because theres 963 replies and it’s burried somewhere around that

1 Like

This just makes it harder to find sound effects for smaller developers who may not have the skills to upload audio… Please don’t make older uploads private.

3 Likes

Well that sucks. thanks Roblox

1 Like

This was recently edited in as well, and I think that’s ridiculous. Indie developers often use the marketplace frequently. I suspect for when a breaking change like this occurs, there is a solution to it.
Making many years worth of an audio catalog unusable is not a reasonable solution, even if a lot of the audios are copyrighted, they should be filtered out.
I’m all for not allowing users to use my assets, but there needs to be a reasonable permission system (which appears to be in the works, based off of release notes saying, “Audio Assets dragged in from toolbox will be granted Universe permissions.”)

2 Likes

There are popular audio used which were uploaded by now banned Roblox accounts. Can developers, players & the creator of that account now expect to never use those audios ever again?

1 Like

As far as I can tell, yep, that audio will forever be gone.

2 Likes

No, the ability to set audio to public will be temporarily paused while other solutions are being looked into.

Problem: we can’t set sounds to public.
Solution: pause the ability to set sounds to public while we find a better solution.

???

3 Likes

You can download and reupload before the date strikes. BTRoblox lets you do that.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve been spending pretty much all my time right now fixing all the audios on my projects.
Boy, normal players are going to be veeeeery confused when half the games they are playing have no sound.

1 Like

I think maybe the audio owner can set it back to public but I’m not sure. But that would require them to still be maintaining it anyway so oof.

1 Like

It won’t yield an error. Don’t worry.

Some say it will error, others say it won’t… Which is correct here?

Guys anyone knows why some of MY OWN audios are getting marked as not owned by me (not copyright just says im not the owner and is marked with the red cross)? Is this a bug or do I have to reupload them?

1 Like

Frankly, I find it hilarious than an update hailing to protect audio assets is encouraging users to save and reupload said assets.

Work with what you get, I suppose.

6 Likes