[Action Needed] Upcoming Changes to Asset Privacy for Audio

free audio update seem very cool and this will help me into adding sound effect into my game, but still having 10 upload each month doesnt really help me much and would just be complete waste of time to wait each month just so i can upload 10 sound effect.
honestly, you should’ve post the requirement for the amount of uploads as its confusing

probably because everyone is rushing to replace all their previously “public” sfx

Thank you, it’s been ridiculous that you have to pay for audio uploading.

The additional changes, such as increasing the licensed catalog is also very welcome. The new audio discovery plugin is helpful to fix broken audio and is very useful.

Private assets are in use by many old games, which is unfortunate and will break some old games, but I understand the need for the change, this protects against stealing assets.

As for public assets, no change should be made for them. If your asset is public, any game should be able to use this.

Do not alter existing audio and convert it to private, only do it to future assets and give people the option to make it public again. I have uploaded public audio files for people to use for their games, I gave this out to the public. I don’t want my audio to be changed to private. I also have used audio files from the toolbox, now every game that uses these toolbox audio files will be broken.

1 Like

I’m panicing right now… I need to re-upload audio from my account because it’s not on my group, but I can’t seem to download the audio from the official endpoint:

It returns an error saying “User is not authorized to access Asset.” The audio was uploaded by me.

Anyone more endpoint-savvy know how I can download the audio on my own account? Unfortunately I spilled water on my SSD that held these files.

1 Like

Would you mind explaining how?

I went to investigate my current place that I’m working on with friends, and effectively I quit working on that place.

I’m not going to go through 200+ countless sounds that are marked, thank you for effectively destroying my home place we were working on.

Not to mention the models that we built, and some of the assets we also purchased from others too.

There’s no point in me replacing the countless audios, especially when people aren’t going to make assets public, they’d have to go through one by one, it’s not worth the time and effort.

This also hurts because even if someone does want to fix a model by restoring an asset, well ur just out of luck because this got posted.

What solutions? what is there to solve? because to me this just causes problems for literally everyone.

Either way, I give up and I’m just throwing in the towel, I lost motivation and there’s no point.

6 Likes

“Free audio” is the only reason people are accepting this.

What’ll you do to compensate for the people who spent so many robux uploading tons of audio for public use? I hope the answer is not “nothing”.

I’ll have to remove all of my custom music gamepasses for users and now make a custom playlist to make up for it…

7 Likes

People have already stated some alternatives, which is using the developer console on a sound page, getting the thing that handles the play button callback, it should lead to a link to the sound id directly, or you can use extensions

Either way Roblox doesn’t even provide an actual way to download sounds and the only workarounds are technically hacks

1 Like

This is beneficial to newer developers, i don’t understand why everyone is complaining, would someone mind explaining?

Get BTRoblox and download it though it.

1 Like

Wish recent decisions didn’t have to impact the audio part of Roblox so harshly. There could’ve been better decisions made, but this feels rushed, too rushed in a sense. About two weeks until doomsday…?

I can see why they aren’t allowing people to use audios they didn’t upload themselves, but it is more of an impactful downside than something that helps us creators, especially those who often use sound effects in their… experiences. Part of the reason might be because of stolen models/scripts and bypassed audios, but I’d prefer being able to use any public audio or audio that we own in any place than being restricted to what we’ve uploaded ourselves or what Roblox has to offer.
Even with uploads becoming free, we are now limited to what sounds we can use due to this new upload limit, especially those without Premium or the ability to DevEx, which is the majority of us. Many of us need sound for our experiences, but with a hard limit of 10 per month (for the average user), it would be hard to create a variety of sounds to create something unique. Even with this change, some developers have used hundreds of sounds in their experiences, which with the 10 uploads/month, would take AGES to replace without having to pay some sort of fee.

Also, some experiences are community-built with some sort of single developer holding onto the experience. I’ve moderated some of these games for years; we’ve been hit by Filtering Enabled and other situations Roblox has thrown at us before. But this issue is by far one of the worst that has been thrown at developers, as many sounds that are used in these experiences are uploaded by many different people, some which have moved on or quit. With the inability to use these audios in about two weeks, these experiences are going to become silenced by this change. I’m hoping Roblox reconsiders this change; it is going to take MONTHS before everything will be “back to normal”.

Another thought: I’d prefer having currently uploaded audio that is public stay public. I don’t see the reasoning on why every single audio that is currently on the site should become private. I’d suggest turning deleted audios into a private state, but with everything else, they should stay public as long as it’s purchasable.

I hope that the majority of this audio chaos will be addressed within the next few days. Lots of these changes was announced with barely any answers to the questions that were left with us, and as far as I can tell with the past few edits to the main post, all they’re doing is giving us more questions than answers.

5 Likes

Let me list it:

• You can’t use old audios anymore
  • Hard audio upload limit
4 Likes

They can be, he was specifically talking about banned users who can’t maintain their audio whether they’d like to or not.

1 Like

This. A completely valid point, and something I’ll be doing right myself. With extensions such as RoPro and BetterRoblox, this is mostly what’s being done right now.

1 Like

What will happen to audios that have been uploaded by deleted/forgotten accounts that have been made public before March 22? Some of them are used a lot. I’m talking about audios that have been uploaded years back. The negatives far outweigh the positives in my opinion. Please do not follow through with this update.

1 Like

There are a few reasons why I do not enjoy this update being rolled out.

I get that free audios are good and having privacy upon uploading your own assets is very smart, but I feel like this wasn’t taken into much consideration.

The fact that you have a base of 10 free uploads per month doesn’t sit right with me. My game relies on a ton of sound effects just as much as any other game to make the abilities or game feel slick. Using the open-source library is already hard as it is since the filtering is not great. I see Roblox’s audios they upload with similar topics as to what I am trying to search for. This likely will lead to more requests being sent to moderation as people may upload loud, obnoxious, NSFW audios without any punishment because they did it on an alt. Regardless of that, our need for sound effects is tremendous within the developer community. I get 6 seconds is enough for a normal sound effect but what if there is an echo or some delay from start to finish?

In short, I think this update should be reworked. 10 audios per month are way too little considering the number of developers that are creating games and in need of music and/or looking for sounds. Making this free as well? Personally, I think that’s a very bad idea. Too many people can upload the same audio and overload the server with requests along with the fact that people are going to upload NSFW audios.

1 Like

@DataBrain Turns out you’re using the wrong endpoint, use this instead:
https://assetdelivery.roblox.com/docs#!/AssetFetch/get_v1_userAssetId_userAssetId

I would have preferred if audio files could be used between groups that are owned by the same person (and allied).

For instance, I have a group that I upload many <6 second audio files (this is used for my text-to-speech system), and I would like to be able to use those sounds within another game of mine that is hosted on another group. Both groups are owned by the same account, and they’re allied to each other.

By not allowing me to use these audio files from Group-A in Group-B’s game, it means I would have to upload many duplicate audio files.

RoPro and BetterRoblox are working on automation tools for this? Thank god.

1 Like

this is not a good update at all

5 Likes