[Action Needed] Upcoming Changes to Asset Privacy for Audio

Wait. how did you do this I need too save my audios too lol

2 Likes

My favorite part about this isn’t the main topic which is about audio privacy, it’s about audios no longer costing robux to upload.

Actually, if you think about it, do you think that roblox is doing this change unwillingly? They are probably having loads of copyright issues, and this’ll essentially fix it. They are also adding non copyright music which is another thing.

Either way, I don’t agree with this change and someone needs to make something to automate this on an extension.

1 Like

Someone should set up a bot to download all available audio from Roblox. Make an archive of sorts.

2 Likes

Roblox has done many things everyone has complained / spoken out about, such as the whole material replacement fiasco and now this.

Who is ‘we’? No one is defending Roblox today, tomorrow or until whether or not this situation is over.

such is life :[

Very nice update! In my opinion, it doesn’t feel fair to anyone who’s spent tons of robux on sounds just to have them removed. : D

Finnaly! But I got a good question, will people who upload a song who is 100% free to use without copyright, like a free music from YouTube, will allowed to turn it private?

And yeah it’s cool but I think that can destroy ZCP Gender game… Everyone use the same audio from SCP:CB…

2 Likes

Couldn’t you just make already existing audio public and audios that were uploaded after the update private?

2 Likes

Can we make a better way to sort through the free music library? It’s super cool that this exists, but right now there is no easy way to filter through for song genre, theme, bpm, insturments, ect aside from aimlessly scrolling through the catolouge.

If this exists, someone please tell me. Thanks!

2 Likes

The typical “nice Roblox feature, but comes with a catch” tuned up to Mach 10. Free audios with a relatively generous limit is nice, but the inherent mass archival of audios will be extremely detrimental to nearly every game currently on the platform. It will be especially harmful to older and not actively worked on games, which won’t have the creators behind them to update their game’s audio.

I’m sure Roblox is being legally pressured to do these changes, but I certainly do hope a compromise is made that will minimize the potential silencing (literally) of numerous player experiences. Under the premise of legality, I’m surprised Roblox would be audios free, given the already persistent issue of bypassed decals/models; bypassed audios will be much more prevalent with a free price, something Roblox as a whole already struggles with and has been investigated for.

6 Likes

I don’t understand why all existing audios are going to be set to be private. They are made off-sale when first uploaded and I can totally understand blocking audios that were not made free to take by the creator in other games. But for all the audios that creators have set to public and have allowed people to take for free should NOT be blocked. They were originally set to be visible to the public and if people change their minds they can always put their audios off-sale.

Correct me if I am wrong about the above, but it would make more sense to block off-sale audios from being used in games instead of blocking audios that were set to be on sale/free by the creator.

3 Likes

Lol, it is so frustrating how everyone is like “wooooo!!!1 free audio!!1” not knowing that the Playboi Carti leaks they uploaded won’t be able to be played in Da Hood anymore.

this is stinky

11 Likes

How is this a nice update? The entire audio library is being purged, apart from bland stock music and sound effects.

5 Likes

Roblox provides an html page with a cdn download url (even if you don’t own the audio but it’s public) if you just get the asset’s library page.

Threw together a quick node.js script that downloads audio files automatically given a list of audio ids:

2 Likes

wow I AM SO NOT HAPPY that this roblox corp newbie with no reputation decides LETS DO A CLASSIC STUPID DECISION if your gonna keep the tradition of stupid decisions for money roblox then KEEP EVERYTHING ELSE like older animation formats, Having a front page that is good for discovary, bringing back genres

2 Likes

33 Likes

Looks cool, here are two things you should implement:
Git ignore node modules
Use roproxy to avoid getting ratelimited

1 Like

After the Free audio on 30 days, will be afforded this audio for Robux?

1 Like

2 weeks for a change such as this seems extremely rushed, and even so the privacy changes don’t even make sense. Users have always had to select the ‘allow copying’ option for every audio they upload to allow free use of audios and now it’s being forced to private?

I can’t even use audios anymore in my own places uploaded from a group I currently own.

I hope something can be done about this… :pensive:

5 Likes

just bring back search by genre or something, jeez. this autogenerated/handpicked/approved list of games is terrible for discoverability

2 Likes