[Action Needed] Upcoming Changes to Asset Privacy for Audio

:raised_back_of_hand: Can agree on that. I make NO income, which means that i can’t hire anybody and that honestly sucks.

Exactly what I thought. This will make uploading copyrighted / bypassed ĂĄudio much easier. They should have kept the fee, despite being a massive incovenience for us developers.

I believe the reason they went privated is so nobody can look it up, consequently not displaying any copyrighted stuff to those big companies.

2 Likes

So true! Honestly ! This is what most companies do when DMCA breathes on them.

6 Likes

Roblox only cares about their bank, and who is threatening to their bank. I feel like Roblox is going to revert this update due to the massive backlash and players/developers quitting.

1 Like

this post is absolutely based pretty funny how roblox just instead of really doing anything they just go lol bye!

4 Likes

Yeah, this. 100% agree. The case went as far as to take an awful, old amazon review clearly made by a kid and make some sort of example, going as far as trying to say “It teaches kids piracy is okay!”

The entire thing was so clearly made as a desperate scheme to make money. It’s about as bad as the time UMG started copyright striking several random Twitter posts for having memes with their music in it, causing several people to be suspended thanks to incredibly questionable DMCA claims.

Roblox has literally no spine when it comes to the legal side of things, they’ve already proven that before. I’m not surprised they don’t fight back though, they just want whatever fills their pockets more, not what helps their developers and players, who are the people who make them their money.

This update probably isn’t going to be reverted since it’s due to a legal case, despite how easy it would be for Roblox to win.

I’m going to quit on March 22nd.

16 Likes

Hey, Im wondering if I could use this message in a petition? Please reach out to me if I can, as it really shows how much developers will be hurt. Thank you.

1 Like

Not defending their actions, but…

I mean, Universal had every right to sue.

Imagine a billion dollar company having a lot of your music on their website, free for anyone and everyone to listen to. Plus, the billion dollar company is making money for each and every audio upload and you’re not making a dime from it! AND on top of that, Roblox has no legal backbone

Hell, I would sue too.

4 Likes

yeah its getting fustrating to wait for an actual response

ok i cant edit it so ima just reply to it.

while this was a really big exaggeration, i find it greatly discouraging to know i have to wait a full 30 days to upload more music for maps and weapons if im already at the limit of 10. (and yes, i know you can give the random company more personal info to sell in the form of your id but i really would not like to do that.)

Same here tbh, I’m honestly tired of this platform. Getting a game popular is near impossible if it isn’t some simulator anime garbage anyways so I’m gonna try to actually learn a skill that can help me in the job market, alongside with being able to make a decent game that doesn’t rely on the infrastructure of the world’s most submissive corporation.

4 Likes

It might be 2k for people who have their ID verified

Roblox once again proves they truly don’t care about their developers. Next time, please spend more time thinking about potential solutions instead of pulling out half-assed ones in a panic; this accomplishes nothing for anybody.

4 Likes

I know, this is my third reply to this update, calling it a disaster. But seriously, this is getting more replies than the original variant of the materials update. You know this is problematic when that has happened this fast. Give people more free audios, (10 free ones is way too little, and the fact that you get that little because they can’t/don’t want to verify their age is just scummy.) Then, do a thorough search for copyrighted audios, instead of privating all pre-existing audios that were longer than 6 seconds.

God…This is gonna b a massive problem lol

3 Likes

nope, i never dev ex’ed and got 2k music per 30 days

This will undoubtedly hurt many games. While free uploads are nice, many have said the limit is not enough to compensate for being forced to replace - in some cases - most of the audio in their game. Searching for audio is hard, and it’s going to be harder to sift through the stock audio unless there’s a setting for “soundtracks” “sfx” etc. There are so many old games many still play that will fall silent because they are not being updated. This update will hurt developers no matter what way you put it.

Edit: spelling

1 Like

roblox: spends hundreds of thousands suing ruben sim
also roblox: cant fight simple court case

16 Likes

Oh well, guess this is the end of boomboxes.

4 Likes

Roblox isnt backing up off of this, which is really sad, This wont hurt a certain group, this will hurt 85% of roblox’s developer player base, AKA small developers who use other peoples assets, Its stupid, I don’t like where this corporation is going with there updates giving whiplash to everybody off-guard

Edit 1 and 2 : spelling and grammer changes