[Action Needed] Upcoming Changes to Asset Privacy for Audio

If I had a dollar for every dumb Roblox update I’d be rich

13 Likes

Personally, I think that this is a terrible update.
Nonetheless, with these changes taking place I would like to be able to upload more sounds, OR, I would like to have a daily instead of monthly upload limit like badges.

2 Likes

If the game is under a group and the audio is uploaded by a user, it will say that it needs to be replaced.
I’m sure once the update rolls out, because you KNOW roblox won’t do a thing about it to appeal to the investors, you’ll be able to unprivate the audio and be able to use it once again. Stupid oversight if you ask me.

Edit: typo

3 Likes

Disgusting.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

1 Like

To be fair, I completely understand where you’re coming from and I 100% agree with Zeezy with the legal stuff. But is it really that much of a big deal to these fat cats that some kid uploaded a audio of a Justin Bieber song because they wanted to listen to it with their friends on Welcome to Bloxburg? And why should Roblox also kneecap audio uploading as a whole because of it? It just seems really unreasonable to me.

3 Likes

It’s free, yes, but virtually all music is copyrighted, and uploading it to Roblox will get it removed, even if you have the proper licenses. Also, not all developers have enough money to pay for a site where you can buy a license for it, not to mention that audio uploaded to Roblox by APM sucks.

roblox: spends hundreds of thousands suing ruben sim
also roblox: cant fight simple court case

But they ended up backing off anyways

5 Likes

I despise of this update - Please read before you judge V2.

Alright, For Starters, I agree with everyone who is saying, ‘I’d be rich off every dumb roblox update.’ So True.

But Roblox, Your making a mistake by adding this update. Your probably scrolling through these replies and just ignoring them, But You should care.

I want to be able to add my own audios for my State Roleplays. Such as the Bird Chirping, Tazer Stun, Car Engine, and all that. But I’m only 15. And I’m not wasting time counting down the years until I’m 18 to verify.

DO NOT Add this please. You already made it hard for the underage. I hated those days of being 12, BUT NOW THIS? Now I have to wait until becoming 18 for everything? This is garbage, and Something as little as audios, IT STILL MATTERS,

If I spelled something wrong, I’m on IPad.

10 Likes

my honest reaction

26 Likes

Exactly. It’s not like they’re a small team whose community is just in the millions of players, anymore. This public corporation has more than enough wealth to hire whoever they want, really, to standup to these evil geniuses called “Universal Copyright Group” and so on. In a supreme court case I’d wager to believe a judge simply wouldn’t deny that their actions are now causing damages to the platform, effectively.

1 Like

I don’t know why Roblox is removing the ability to use other creators’ audios in games.
Removing every audio, a little bit over the top, but kinda reasonable.
But removing the ability to use other audios has almost nothing to do with this.

I would like this but I hit my limit. I agree with you lol

This update is bad.
This will kill small games from small developers, everyone will have to listen these 15M+ subs stock musics, devs will have to find new musics to replace the old ones, there will be millions of bypassed or copyrighted musics so it won’t be a “solution to the content creator rights”, even if they are unusable, creators will still be able to strike copyright infringers.

AND millionaires will be able to upload thousands of audios, while others will have the tiny limit of 10 a month and will be copyright terminated by uploading audios that will not even be usable?
I am asking dominus people to think about that before saying it’s an amazing update.

Half of players and devs will quit if they don’t have other choice than apm or Monstercat musics.
It would be very good if at least on-sale audios remain usable after the update

3 Likes

Just find and re-upload or record the audio.

Why did you have to quote the entire post lol

1 Like

b-b-but isn’t this update supposed to protect the audio uploaders?!?!?

However, as we enable more UGC on our platform, we believe that creators will want to better control the availability, manner of distribution, and value of their creations.

My other posts have been a little bit more considerate about this change but I just needed to vent my frustration in this one. It might look like a huge rant but I promise that there’s some semblance of reason behind my incessant ramblings and complaints.

(I also just woke up and am working entirely off of caffeine so expect some mechanical errors in advance.)

Why should I dedicate my time, effort, and creativity to making games on Roblox if the platform consistently and repeatedly comes up with massive platform-wide changes that break massive parts of games and expects developers to go back through every single game they have ever made and individually compensate for it manually? Why work as a developer on the platform if everything you’ve ever made can be ruined the very next day because of an arbitrary update like this? The amount of changes like this presented recently is absolutely and utterly exhausting and demonstrates a huge disregard for developers and it’s beginning to make the platform seem unviable. No other game development engine has to go through things like this.

I absolutely love working on Roblox. I love how easy it is to make games, I love how charming and fun the style and blocky designs are, I love how intuitive and incredibly flexible the engine is while also being incredibly powerful, and I could go on. But this is just outright ridiculous. The way the platform has been disregarding developers lately is just not acceptable in the slightest. I do commend them for trying to soften the blow for developers at least a little bit with this change which is more than the animation engine and materials update could say, but it isn’t enough to warrant the complete destruction of the entire audio catalog and ruining of millions of games.

The thing is, the justification behind these changes isn’t even practical in any capacity. The original copyright detection system has received massive improvements lately and has cleared 99% of copyrighted and unlicensed audio from the library as is. Youtube possesses a very similar system and yet still is running fine as is. This could have been handled infinitely better than privating every single audio on the entire platform, forcing every single developer to manually fix almost every single audio in their entire games individually which could be hundreds of hours of work, causing legacy games that no longer receive active development to lose their magic forever, and so much more. This change is just awful in every capacity even when considering that it was likely due to legal ramifications on part of Roblox. There are so many ways that this could have been settled more effectively.

I’m just exhausted and no longer have the strength to argue especially after both the animation blending and materials updates threatened to force me to go through every game I’ve ever made on my ten years on the platform and fix them individually for the sake of some shiny new materials or a minor imbalance in animation weights. I don’t understand how these changes keep being pushed and I need to vent my frustration. This has been utterly ridiculous. The only change like this that was completely justified was the experimental mode and removal of non-fe games as the platform just couldn’t survive with exploiters being able to do whatever they wanted to in certain games. But there is such a huge myriad of ways that this could be done in an infinitely more reasonable manner.

Speaking of Youtube, despite all the unwarranted hatred the platform gets, I believe that over the years it’s learned its lesson and has lately been considering its users infinitely more than Roblox has despite the fact that Roblox is a game development platform that relies entirely on its developers. Youtube has consistently tried to find a good middle ground that doesn’t hurt creators on anywhere near this scale especially in cases where they’ve taken a stand for their creators in litigation. Imagine if Youtube were to suddenly cut out every piece of music in every video every made and require that their creators go through and reupload all their videos individually with new music that they’ve explicitly verified they have the rights to. That may be a huge exaggeration, but it gives you an idea of how ridiculous this is.

15 Likes

I think this is one of the worst things ROBLOX can do, I run a pretty small game where my developers do their things on their own baseplate. Plus I use the TTP weather system, where the only sound that will still be available is a random thunder sound. Half of the assets in-game that need sounds will be completely ruined. Car games are done. Most cars need sounds to seem realistic, a gas car turning electric is not realistic whatsoever. Along with this A-Chassis will be ruined as the turbo and supercharger sound will not qualify as a sound effect. This means that any driving game using A-Chassis will not have turbocharger and supercharger sounds unless changed by the certain game’s owner. This has ruined a lot of games and made me lowkey considering quitting development.

(sorry for yucky grammar, just pretty mad about this update)

3 Likes

No, it effects people who have games with 10/100/2000+ sounds uploaded to a non-game owning account like me (~3700).

I have to close my 2014 member group for this update over 900 sound effects will be removed by this stupid update. I clearly hate roblox now I thought the talenthub update was awful but this have taken it to the extreme and quit being a developer.

If this update happens someone can have my 12k robux

7 Likes