[Activated!] Sleeping Part Behavior Improvements

I know it’s been happening when that Beta Feature was not turned on, and when I turned it on apparently it does still occur in Studio testing, I was a bit surprised by that…

Also, the only repro I have is the entire game itself. If you want, I can privately send you it if you’d like to investigate it further, doesn’t really bother me as you’re on staff.

1 Like

Yes, this happens with massless parts too. Though the minimum angular velocity appears to be different for parts of different sizes.

Was something related to this feature turned on last night or this morning? Encountering a new issue in my game where objects using BodyGyros with low maxTorque values will fall asleep a little bit before reaching their target CFrame. Can try to make a repro sometime tomorrow if this isn’t helpful enough.

1 Like

Would exposing the sleep threshold to us be an option?

3 Likes

Yea I did enable some things globally since there were no reports of anything breaking when enabling the beta.
The goal with the the change is for physics interactions to either work the same be improved. Something going to sleep early that wasn’t before this change is a bug, so thanks for the report. I’ve just changed some values, can you see if it’s working now? (@cc567 @UsernameMissingOrNil your cases might be handling lower speeds now too)

@Auhrii
That is an option, but I feel like being able to set certain parts to not go to sleep would be better. You don’t want to have to lower the threshold for an entire place and sacrifice performance for a couple parts in your game that goes to sleep too early. Do you agree?

4 Likes

Agreed. My mind immediately jumped to being able to override the sleep threshold per-part, but I feel that would be more trouble than it’s worth. Use cases would be games that intentionally have small models to cheat the maximum render distance, if it helps.

I’m still seeing the problem; I’ve attached a repro of the issue. When running the repro you’ll notice that the part falls asleep before it lines up with its target. Toggling the part’s Anchored property on and off while the simulation is running will get it progressively closer to the goal. BodyGyroSleepRepro.rbxl (19.4 KB)

2 Likes

Hm, you sure that before this change the cube would finish it’s rotation without sleeping?
I’m seeing the same early sleep behavior with the change on and off, looks like it’s actually worse with it off.

2 Likes

I am certain it worked, at least for my use case. In my game, spaceships have to align to a target before activating their warp drives, and I make a check on the ship’s CFrame to determine when it is aligned with its target. I only started seeing this issue yesterday when users began reporting their ships failing to fully align to enter warp and I determined this to be the cause. The ships are complex, though, with a large number of connected parts, so it’s possible that it could have to do with interactions with those connected parts that makes it different than how a single part behaves.

1 Like

Yea the ships being larger would make a difference.
With this cube it looks like the rotations don’t reach the goal with the change on or off, and I’m only seeing improvements with the change enabled.

I’m going to disable the change globally so you can go back to toggling it on/off in studio with the Beta Features controller. See if you can get your turning ship working successfully with it off and not working when it’s on. If that’s happening, feel free to send a repro like the last one but with the actual ship if you can

2 Likes

Hello @kleptonaut . Things seem to be working much smoother now!

Thanks to all the devs that tested out the beta! We have activated (most) of the feature globally!

There were some issues experienced with the Motor6D/animation portion of the change:

Parts connected to animated assemblies (Motor6Ds) will properly wake up when under motion

So it is currently off. A fix for this will be rolled out in a couple weeks. Otherwise everything else has been enabled.

6 Likes

: Hi I’ve been having issues of recent with my Aircraft. The same issue also now affects my Tug tractor. The video linked/ attached will show basically give a visual representation of the issue and possibly a temp solution. What I notice is the top of the plane never really sleeps, I assume spinning parts keep vehicles always unslept as when i delete the engines the plane then sleeps but this isnt the issue, the issue as seen in the video is that whilst the whole plane is unslept the wheels are sleeping and will not wake up even with force from vectorforce applied. Ive also on my tug had angularvelocity not able to unsleep the vehicle till I jumped out of the car and In. Wondering if the new Beta update is out yet and if so the issue seems not to be fixed.

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/684200767019548684/684251435831263274/Problem_Sleeping_Parts.mp4

6 Likes

I have been experiencing issues with this, forces are not waking parts which are connected via hingeconstraints correctly.

The gears have motor6D’s, but those shouldn’t affect the link between the hingeconstraint and the force.

4 Likes

robloxapp-20200303-2200350.wmv (1.9 MB)
Not sure if this issue is caused by this, but it just began once this update went live.

Same happens with the front, the wheels tend to shift the whole vehicle.
The front wheels will get stuck turning until i press W, or if I jump out it’ll reset itself back to being straight.
(better video) robloxapp-20200304-0037014.wmv (1.1 MB)
(currently using RotateV)
Wheels also work properly when in motion

2 Likes

I was playing jenga in roblox and i have noticed that the sleeping parts update is still not perfect…
I dragged the middle piece away slowly from the bottom and the tower fell asleep causing it not to fall over.

3 Likes

maybe allow people to revert to sleep mode on?

3 Likes

I’ve been getting reports of increased amount of physics lag in my game after this went live. Is it possible to add an option under Workspace to customize it?

Or if there’s a way to manually temporarily revert it for my game. Rise of the Dead - Roblox

Thanks in advance,
Khronos

1 Like

In my opinion like @flguynico2 said there should be an option to revert it on or off.

3 Likes