[Activated!] Sleeping Part Behavior Improvements

yes the reason why i said that is because people had problems with it. so the best way to solve this is to make a option to turn it on or off. It would be located in workspace properties instead of settings.

1 Like

i didn’t notice much of a difference. rail cars in my game roll a little on hills vary slowly for a little bit, but they don’t pick up speed, they just kinda slowly… not smoothly… roll, i tried to push one down, and it actually started rolling up the hill and pushing me back lol.

1 Like

@willingnerd
What is the expected outcome here? I don’t understand what is going on. Please DM with a full report if you want.

@rickje139
Do you know if this issue was present before the change?

@MXKhronos
Do you have more details on where the physics lag is occurring (like in the microprofiler)? The only case were you would see significant performance loss is if you game had lots of parts going to sleep that may be taking longer to fall asleep as they still have a net force acting on them. Have you examined the behavior of sleeping parts in your game with AwakePartHighlighting enabled? Feel free to DM a repro

2 Likes

this is the most aggravating game of janga i ever played… i like how blocks choose to start scooting along on there own and jump off the top of the stack

2 Likes

Uh oh, after release this seems to be causing issues at least with trains at my game Pinewood Computer Core where the trains now remain stuck on entering and trying to drive away. I wonder if there’s a way around this or a way to wake up all parts in the trains as they are an integral part of the game.

7 Likes

This issue was present before the change aswell, but now it is a littlebit harder to replicate it.

1 Like

Time to test this out for a bit, it seems useful for physic games.

1 Like

This feature that was activated a few weeks ago has started to cause me a few problems. In my game ‘Grand Continental Railways’ I have trains that move via Body Velocity. When given velocity, sometimes the trains will not move, as shown below:

Velocity is certainly being applied as you see here:

I have attempted raising the MaxForce. When changing it while applying Velocity, this does ‘wake up’ the part and get it to move again, but no matter how high I set it, the trains still sometimes do not move after going stationary. The only thing that gets them moving again is if a player equips a tool from their backpack.

This only started happening 2 weeks ago, and was fine before then, so I believe that this improvement has caused some problems on my end.

5 Likes

Exactly the same for my trains, equipping a tool. I wonder if we can trick it into moving somehow when they press accelerate.

8 Likes

If any Roblox engineers are wondering, nothing is fixed and the same physics failure is occurring in my bowling game. (Assuming I don’t have to turn on a setting that I missed?)

On second thought, why don’t you simply add a new field on all BaseParts where you determine if any sleeping operations can even be performed on it? That way I can turn that off for my bowling pins and we won’t have an issue.

Why is everything rocket science?!

6 Likes

I was making a game and it broke how can I fix it?

1 Like

As someone who made a successful bowling game a few years back I’ve had no issues with physics sleeping.

Just network the ball and the pins to the player bowling?

1 Like

I actually render all the models client-sided for the smoothest gameplay possible, so there shouldn’t be a need to set the network owner. For whatever reason, the pins still act like they weigh 9999 pounds when the ball hits them from time-to-time.

2 Likes

I don’t think your issue is related to sleep. Feel free to create a post describing your issue in detail on Help and Feedback

2 Likes

I was testing stuff around my game and spawned some movable models above the head of my character. This is what happened:

Car litterally felt asleep in the air.
Same thing happened to this poor ship:

This still needs to be improved.

6 Likes

Nice Update :smiley:! The new features on Roblox Studio makes me easier to develop :slight_smile:.

Cool! I look forward to use this in my Roblox games in the future!

1 Like

Sleeping parts are still an issue for a lot of my use cases.

Here is a sign hung with 2 RopeConstraint’s to a anchored part. The sign also contains a AlignPosition and AlignOrientation with relatively weak force to keep it from jiggling constantly.

Here’s the the sign model. I noticed that the sleeping isn’t quite as bad in a blank place with just a baseplate, but it still happens frequently.

sign.rbxm (13.2 KB)

2 Likes

Working on a little project, using AlignPosition and AlignOrientation to position weapons in a characters hands. Weapons are massless and no collide.

The weapons are regularly falling asleep like this when they should be constantly positioning themselves towards the characters hands. I could manually fix them whenever the player moves but I don’t think the sleeping behavior is supposed to work this way.

Edit: This problem was fixed!

5 Likes

The problem I showed in my previous post was fixed, but as of a few days ago its started happening again. BodyVelocity getting applied, but the train refuses to move, unless I select a tool.

1 Like