Add a built in font that is an atlas of Roblox logos and symbols (akin to Webdings)

Currently, adding certain icons (such as the Robux icon, Premium icon, etc) into text elements is very difficult.

It often requires tricky setups that may not scale well or be very complicated for what they are worth. For example, if I want to mention the price of a dev product, I either have to create a constant sized text element and image element together and make sure they scale to any device resolution, or leverage instances like UIListLayout and UIAspectRatioConstraint to maintain this for me. While functional, this ends up being more of a headache especially when I need to alter the manner in which that element is displayed, even moreso in scripts as opposed to hand-made UI.

My proposition requests adding a new font, which for demonstration purposes I will call rbxsym, that behaves in a manner akin to Webdings. Rather than distinct glyphs, it contains symbols bound to each letter.

If I wanted to display a product in my game that costs 800 Robux, I could set my TextLabel to a string like <font face="rbxsym">R</font>800 to display :robux_light:800.

An alternative to this suggestion may be more tags in Rich Text e.g. <robux/> to create the symbol in text. The basic idea is that I need a way to inline things into my text. Once custom fonts roll around (assuming they do), edge cases such as custom images can be addressed.

The primary benefit of an officially supported set is that they can be updated as branding changes are made without much consequence to developers. No matter what, a product costing X Robux is constant. If the branding icon changes, then this font will update its symbol automatically without requiring a new image uploaded on behalf of the developer, let alone any changes in Studio for that matter.

25 Likes

Is there a specific reason for using a font rather than Unicode characters?

Seems like a hack. Roblox should just add a rich text tag that allows you to insert icons directly.

1 Like

Or they could just add image support to rich text, and have the Robux icon and other Roblox symbols as built-in files that can be used for that. Then we could also add our own images, like our own currency icons, menu button icons, controller/keyboard button icons, etc. into text much easier. That seems much more useful than just adding a few Roblox icons as a font to me.

2 Likes

Overall yeah, a font seems a bit like a crude attempt. My major concern was implementation. Having a font means it ties into an already supported system and would only require adding a handful of symbols as vector graphics basically.

I do like this idea a lot in general. Granted there’s a way to match text size automatically, I think it’d be perfect.

2 Likes