Add a feedback category so the support channels don't get flooded

This feedback post coincides with my other rant in the #bulletin-board which I posted before I even had knowledge of this section of the forum. Shout out to @nightgaladeld for showing me.

Basically what I would suggest the forum doing is adding a feedback section. Sure, there is already a #development-discussion:cool-creations to post about things you’ve made but we don’t have anywhere to post just to receive feedback from users about our content.

The support sections weren’t created for users to ask others for general knowledge about something with no actual goal. I want to be able to help users get the help they need and not have them worry about feedback posts flooding the category.

TL;DR: Add a feedback channel due to a mass flood of new member users not having any post knowledge and posting feedback on work in the support channels. A feedback category will allow users to get what they need without flooding a whole section that was intended for other purposes.

2 Likes

I’d say Development Discussion would be a suitable place to ask for feedback; both that and maybe Design Support.

Adding new categories won’t really help the fact that new users to the forum will still end up misusing categories anyways.

1 Like

The rules in those support channels literally state that it isn’t a place to ask for feedback. Feedback is way too broad for users to give real support on.

1 Like

Development Discussion isn’t a support category, however. It would be the suitable category to ask for feedback.

1 Like

I think the rules need to be updated to be clearer. Not only that but it seems like most new members don’t even read the rules to the categories anymore. I’d be fine with creating a feedback section in Development Discussion however it doesn’t have the same format style as a real category would and is a little harder organizational wise to read who is actually giving your post feedback.

1 Like

Well we do technically have a feedback category called #development-discussion:cool-creations but I think that it’s locked out for new members.

4 Likes

Cool Creations is mostly for showing off stuff you’ve made, whilst Development Discussion as a whole is a place for feedback and, well, discussion.

1 Like

It’s actually not. I have been a new members for a long time. A lot of users apparently don’t read any rules because they don’t know about post approval (regular users that don’t have ranks) which causes the support section to get clogged. I think that would happen less if we just added a Feedback section that is open for everyone. It would help reduce the amount of feedback posts I see (around 10 daily).

1 Like

If I am correct, I believe it is discouraged to create new topics in Development Discussion.

Cool Creations should be used for feedback unless is it in “What are you working on currently”. The purpose of the subcategory is to post what you creations you made and request feedback. This does require going through post approval.

Development Discussion is meant for discussions about development topics, not feedback. Cool creations should be used.

3 Likes

This is exactly the issue. Most users don’t understand how post approval works and because of that people continue to post in the support channels.

As much as we try to enforce it, I doubt it will change much. People don’t tend to read rules and even sometimes pins.

2 Likes

Very recently, there was a new button added for DevForum rules. That should help

On top of that, coefficients and Nightgaladeld from Developer Relations is doing some focus group work with some of the community to look at culture, we may see improvements in that area related to your reaction. Learn more about that @

5 Likes

Thanks for the information. I will read up on this. I actually initially DM’ed him about the problemn because I had no knowledge about this section in the DevForum and he said he enjoyed the feedback and asked me to post it here.

1 Like