Add "Fish Eye Lens" Effect

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to make a game that can’t have different types of view, for me making a game with planets. This game involves space mechanism. Most features we currently have now are potentially constructable for a space game, yet I can’t make planet look round so everyone will have to fly up instead of in any direction. This space game would actually have possible potential for other games too. Some games could have fish eye lens like, survival games being round. It would be fun making games with curvature.

This would improve my game, for I am currently making a game based of planets. I can’t really have a planet flat. So convincingly Roblox should have a different POV. I don’t want to make pixels for them to have fish eye lens. You probably never heard of this type of engine feature, but I really think it could help ideas for people who develop, and create games.

If this issue is addressed, it would improve my development experience because my game would have curvature. players would be building unique rocket ships, so as landing on a planet with their rocket ships. This would make creativity more immersive for my game. People would be “How can this game have curvature for a planet?”. This would be a unique exploration game.

The only way this issue can be solved is making pixels on your screen, or make planet teleportation. I don’t like this way because It doesn’t really have exploration it’s click click and that’s it. I want players to fly around in space. They would be flying around with their rocket ship having fun, and exploring planets. I really genuinely think this is a great idea for Roblox. I really want this mechanism to be added because I would just set their camera to their rocket and they would see their rocket land or parachute.

31 Likes

This is not describing a “fish eye lens” effect at all, you should not title your feature requests about the solution you’re proposing and this is a downright textbook example why. You’re asking for Roblox to provide more engine infrastructure to make transitioning to, and walking around on 3D globes easier, not a post-processing fisheye lens effect.

I doubt that there is a one size fits all solution to what you’re trying to build. If you want 3D planetary exploration, you’re probably going to need to invest some effort.

7 Likes

I thought fisheye was where the screen is distorted, what you’re talking about is a shader. Something like this is a planet shader:
Planet shader by TheSnidr | GameMaker: Marketplace (yoyogames.com)

This is fisheye:

I think what your feature request should be is to add custom shaders to Roblox, but I think that is already a feature request.

6 Likes

I think you want to be making your planets a sphere and implementing custom gravity & camera code.

2 Likes

Hi! This is a bit irrelevant to the original post but I figured I’d post how to actually create a fisheye lens for anyone who was looking for an answer here. Moving a semi-transparent glass sphere in front of your camera can recreate the fisheye lens effect fairly well.

example:

13 Likes

oh wow that’s sick I might use that for my horror game :grin: