Add MORE Settings For Skyboxes

Hello, firstly the problem with not having post processing effects for Skyboxes has forced me to have to experiment with settings over and over inside third party software. The process goes as:

1. Skybox doesn’t look good
  2. Edit in GIMP using Contrast and Brightness
  3. Upload HDRI to Skybox Converter
  4. Upload every single image individually because Roblox importer cannot handle large files
  5. Set every image ID because the one who designed which side is front and left is completely idiotic
  6. Wait for Skybox to load for some reason
  7. Repeat number 1

I wish Roblox would add settings such as ColorCorrection where we can set the following:

1. Brightness
  2. Contrast
  3. Saturation

Why do you need a skybox to look great:

1. Reflections
  2. Visual ( No edge marks )
  3. Ambience
  4. Look realistic

This would in the end benefit Roblox as they would require less servers to store images. Less servers for Roblox means more money, this would be a great investment for Roblox. I would also like to point out that Lighting ColorCorrection also changes everything not only the skybox.

Not only do Roblox Skyboxes not have customization settings, they also miss realism. Software like Blender or Game Engines like UE5 take skyboxes and remove any high exposure regions that may occur due to Sun. I also don’t get why Roblox severely lowers resolution of the skybox inside reflections.

Another solution would be for Roblox to allow direct HDRI to be used instead of Skybox because it would take less time to constantly change between HDRI and Skybox Cubemap.

After several uploads I’ve just managed to get 1 skybox to look perfect and I have 15 skyboxes left.

If got any questions or letting me know this is the wrong category, please do let me know.

36 Likes

I would love a Priority property for all these lighting things…

Then a Transparency property for sky.

How would I use these two? I will place my game’s default sky in the Lighting at a priority of 1, then insert a Disaster sky and make it fully transparent with a priority of 2. The default sky will continue to show as I tween the transparency of the Disaster sky to 0 which would hide the default’s sky.

In my opinion this would be better than a rapid change of sky all of a sudden which looks terribly ugly.

Or maybe a function in the Lighting that handles this like Lighting:SwitchSky(Sky, TimeSpeed).

9 Likes

This is something I didn’t know I needed, would be perfect for when you want to switch the skybox for different areas, or doing day/nice as some skyboxes look weird during at night as much as some do during the day.

3 Likes

I’ve seen quite a creative workaround for this issue while browsing through the files of a Unity game. The developer of that game created a “fake sky” which is essentially a non-collidable semisphere which follows the player around at all times along the X and Z axis, but not Y. Then, you can simply apply your HDRI skybox as a texture to it and voila! Although I never tried it myself so it may be different or not work at all on Roblox.

5 Likes

Big + on supporting just an HDRI image. That cuts out most of the tedium in the uploading workflow. The issue is just that doing it this way would kill the skybox resolution since we can only have 1080 pixels max on any dimension. Roblox needs to boost the size limit. Developers need to be responsible themselves.

6 Likes

So a fade transition between skyboxes?

2 Likes

Thats why we should increase resolution for .HDRI file types or better yet let Roblox convert a Large 16k Resolution HDRI file into 6 different cubemaps.

2 Likes

This will still have shadows and different lighting applied on it making it unrealistic. Secondly the other problem is reflections, my main focus in mind for my game is Reflections and then Realism.

1 Like

I want to ask this question,I’m not trying to be aggressive, just curious, why do you care more about reflections, instead of realism? As I’ve seen that realism is something you prioritise a lot

1 Like

Its not that I overly exaggerate my love for reflections over realistic visual such as what it would look like in the sky, I just care just a tiny bit more about how my cars reflect the skybox.

3 Likes

So it’s because of the reflections of your cars on the sky?
I don’t think with that method it would be possible to get the same samey thing, b it could become very close to Roblox’s sky

I also agree with this feature, I hope it gets implemented, I would also like to add:
More control over everything, change the ToS and put classic faces on sale

This idea is great, but I’ll probably not be here to see it

1 Like

Adding an alpha channel and skybox background coloring would be amazing customizations for immersive experiences, beause users could customize their skyboxes more with little to no experience.

1 Like

I agree, it would be awesome to have something like this. I think that at the very least it’s sad we can’t have a skybox for day AND night. Why only one? Unfortunately, this is something that has been requested for years so it looks like roblox have better things to do :sob:

2 Likes

Tooling that automates skybox creation would be amazing. It’s such a shame plugin developers don’t get any local image manipulation and upload prompt API. So many possibilities.

If we could read and manipulate local images and prompt the user to upload them, then use the image IDs, that could unlock a lot of possibilities in plugin functionality.

2 Likes

I don’t mean it as a plugin, but rather just have an API Change for Skyboxes so we can animate them and ColorCorrection for skyboxes where you must insert a separate one inside the skybox.

2 Likes