Add readonly MaximumPlaybackLoudness property to Sound

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to script visuals based on PlaybackLoudness because I do not have an easy way to tell the maximum playback loudness of a sound. I often combine PlaybackLoudness of sounds with visual effects - for example, lights that are brighter the louder a sound is. But because no property on a sound tells me the highest PlaybackLoudness it has, I have to pick an arbitrary ceiling, or write a script that gets this value by playing the entire sound and outputting the maximum PlaybackLoudness, and saving it as a value somewhere.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because I would be able to sound-balance in a more informed way, and adjust sound-based visuals based on maximum playback loudness easily.

I am aware of CompressorSoundEffect, but it’s properties and how they relate to PlaybackLoudness, rather than just volume, are unclear to me.

Edit: Even the example in the developer documentation for PlaybackLoudness, showing a volume amplitude bar, defines an arbitrary max loudness and would benefit from access to this value.

14 Likes
  1. I dont know if this is feasibly possible given how Roblox handles sounds
  2. The CompressorSoundEffect isn’t released, and hasn’t been for quite a while.

I don’t have a solution, but I have a suggestion- you might be able to leverage the PlaybackSpeed property to quickly scan sounds for the maximum PlaybackLoudness. This might be useful if you ever had to scan a sound on demand in a live game, or if you needed to run a macro on a large group of sounds without waiting ages.

1 Like