Adding a Skin Material

As a Roblox developer, it is currently impossible to make smooth, low reflecting material to use for skin. The closest alternative is smoothplastic which reflects like plastic does (as it should).

If Roblox is able to address your issue, how would it improve your game and/or your development experience? Please be as specific as possible: I could make characters that don’t look like they’re made out of glossy plastic.

5 Likes

I’m not sure if I’m comfortable with people building things out of skin.

50 Likes

I think it’d be better to just have a ‘Plain’ material that has little to no specular.
For proper skin it’d have to be semi-realistic… aaand no.

In fact, better controls over textures should be what we want, but until then we gotta compromise.

9 Likes

I want a skin 2x4x1

10 Likes

…skin?

You can use textures over parts that don’t reflect like grass and brick. It kinda gets rid of your current problem. Adjusting the lighting to not reflect stuff is also a possibility.

1 Like

Valid points. So I take it y’all don’t wanna add a phlegm terrain material either /s

3 Likes

I think we just need a general matte material that would be useful for such cases like skin and low-poly game design. A sort of mix between Plastic and Smooth plastic that has a flat bump map but doesn’t appear shiny.

23 Likes

^ Agreed, tires, old items, skin, fabric (that doesn’t have the huge Roblox fabric material texture) and any other everyday items that should be matte would be more realistic with a ‘Matte’ material.

5 Likes

I think one reason this doesn’t exist yet is that Roblox is still going for the cartoonish vibe, making it look realistic loses this a bit but, personally I think we’re responsible enough nowadays not to completely mess up the look of our games, and as long as it’s not forced on us the most profitable and successful types of games should be created through their success/failures.

Giving me antro flashbacks

It would be awesome if we could create our own materials by customising how they behave.

11 Likes

I’m still waiting for the bubble wrap terrain material.

8 Likes