Adding a way to seperate UnionOperations

As a Roblox developer, it is currently hard to acquire the parts that make up a union. While I was trying to serialize unions (here), I found it impossible to do so unless I keep a table for each union specifying the parts that make it up, which is quite annoying. Another problem with this I had in the past is undoing a :UnionAsync() operation, where I link certain parts (bar looking parts) together by unioning them, and seperating them when I need to do.

If this issue is addressed, it would definitely circumvent otherwise hacky workarounds for the cases I explained (and definitely others) that would potentially limit what you wanted to do in the first place. As an example, for the second case, I had to limit the number of bars you can connect, because my only not-so-frustrating solution was create pre-sets of connected parts, then copy and parent them once you need to. Pretty much, a :SeperateAsync() method would be really nice.

10 Likes

Since there is already a “Seperate” button in Studio, they could probably add an API to do this as well. My guess on why they don’t have this already is that it doesn’t save a list of the parts were used when you use :UnionAsync(), and it only records them in Studio. Just a guess though

3 Likes