Adding the Audio API Roll Off Curve Editor [Beta]

This Distance Attenuation API & editor only applies to AudioEmitter, so those plugins should still work for Sound instances

13 Likes

thanks for clearing this up, sounds like the new editor provides more functionality over numbersequences

12 Likes

ah, makes sense, I had no clue about AudioEmitter being a thing so it was a bit confusing to me - thought we were talking about Sound for a moment XD, thanks for clearing that up

9 Likes

THIS IS PERFECT!!! Thank you I knew you guys wouldnt let us down with these new audio instances!!

10 Likes

This is like a Hertz physics api kind of but cool update.

7 Likes

Very interesting! Can’t wait to see the immersive effect this will create in games.

8 Likes

that would actually be awesome as a feature!

9 Likes

This is super useful. I always value the opening up of in-engine features to allow developers a lot of freedom in creativity.

I would love to see this implementation for light rolloff in the future! Lighting is almost just as fundamental as sound. It can be tricky to create compelling and aesthetically pleasing lighting within Roblox.

12 Likes

LOL
I spent so many hours creating and adding my own audio system based in distance and now roblox release this :smiling_face_with_tear:

13 Likes

Yes! It’s been hard imagining and handling roll-off without making a complicated system, and this is gonna be SO helpful.

10 Likes

Fantastic addition! Excited to see more audio API updates that give the us more control over all of the aspects of our games.

7 Likes

That’s actually sick. Thanks Roblox :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Are there plans to reintroduce volumetric audio for the new API? The other day I had to add FX to a waterfall and it was difficult to get the stereo effect right with the current punctual emitters.

10 Likes

This is a nice update, even though its quite small.
Will we ever get a system where we can precisely control where each audio is played, without having to do too much scripting?
This is what I mean:
Different noises produced from a Jet Engine

6 Likes

tangents would be awesome, it’d be especially cool if we had a sequence evaluation method integrated directly into the sequence class to facilitate the tangent calculations (and even envelopes). The current evaluation method works, but I feel like we could get even more out of a direct method

6 Likes

I’d say this is pretty cool, I can see how this makes a great ambiance structure for many environments!

Will we be able to switch between curve types btw?

3 Likes

This is very usefull! I hope to use it in my future projects as this is the feature i’ve been waiting for.

3 Likes

I’m curious, if aside from all of the super cool new functionality and flexibility provided from the new AudioEmitters, it’s worth switching over from using regular sounds if you don’t yet intend to use the new functionality. As in order to play a simple sound, in example an explosion, I have to instantiate 3-5 objects (AudioPlayer, AudioEmitter, Wire, AudioFader + Wire*) just to play the sound as opposed to just one Sound instance. I would hope not that, in the case of having a chain reaction of a dozen explosions in a second, having many more instances would cause higher memory load.

2 Likes

I’d like to be able to use presets similar to the ones available for standard sounds. It’s difficult to achieve the perfect InverseTapered roll-off mode, especially when changing the maximum roll-off distance. I use audio API for voice chat, so I can’t exactly use standard sound instances

I also want to know the default proximity voice chat roll-off settings, the minimum and maximum distance, as well as the curve shape

4 Likes

wow I really love the new Audio API because it allows me to make a music system which works like a PA System! tbh I have autism and i’m into technology! I can’t wait to see what I’ll do with the curve editor!

3 Likes