Adjustable count of Cylinder and Sphere's segments

I’d like to set the amount of segments a cylinder has, same thing for spheres. There should be a limit for those numbers, which would be around 50 I guess. Minimal should be 3 or 4. That would also require removing those smaller sides on round shapes so the shape can be regular. It may be seen on the image below in which a is the bigger segment and b as the smaller one.

It will help me alot in CSG building, when it comes to saving triangles, that’s the main reason I’m requesting this :slight_smile:
Share your thoughts below :smiley:

9 Likes

First thing’s first, this belongs in #feature-requests:client-features as it doesn’t concern Studio so much as the engine.

Second thing’s second… This would be great.

2 Likes

Hehe, I always don’t know which one to choose, and I always pick the wrong one :smiley:

Question out of curiosity, why not meshparts?

There is my reason :stuck_out_tongue:

CSG is like…super unoptimized, creates the messiest geometry and is really bloody hard to work with.

With meshparts your models will always look beautiful, and you can optimize the triangle count to your liking with two clicks!

1 Like

But it’s bloody easy for me to work with as I know how to use it (and it turns out to be beatiful too xd)
And I know they are unoptimized (yet), but they have features that Meshss do not :slight_smile:

1 Like

CSG in its current form isn’t really meant to make the most optimized geometry possible, it’s just supposed to be easy to work with.

There’s a gigantic difference between making the shape you need without leaving Studio and importing a mesh. It’s much harder to adjust meshes, and you can’t easily see them in-engine surrounded by the rest of your level geometry.

CSG will continue to improve as it has since its introduction, of course.

1 Like

This is basically the same as my request.

M0RGOTH’s CSG Primitives plugin will construct a bunch of different types of primitives with any number of faces. It’s designed for CSG, I used it all the time when I’m modeling with CSG. I think it’s what you’re looking for. I don’t think it does spheres though.

1 Like

A good interim solution. CSG scales on all axis, though, so you have to know the proportions of the final primitive you want instead of being able to resize however you want.

Import them from Blender if very accurate physics is not much of a concern?

Or

Or

I’m using it already, but it seems broken for me. It also doesn’t support custom spheres (sphere stretching too) which I’m up to, but thanks anyways :slight_smile:

Also, to all coming up with blender/mesh stuff I want to be able to use it in CSG building. @Oseday

I’m sorry, didn’t catch it too much. Talked about it on discord few days ago which is why I wanted to create a thread about it.
Sorry for inconvenience