Adjusting the Color3 of a MeshPart Texture

This missing feature is really blocking what we can do creatively with skinned meshes. It’s impossible to have hair or clothing that can be recolored without creating a library of textures for each color.

24 Likes

Would be fantastic to see this functionality this year!

28 Likes

Color3 for mesh textures is a needed feature for the future where ROBLOX is headed. We already have the support for humanoid clothing and textures. Color3 for mesh textures would add in-depth colour customization. Creating a library for every texture would be unreasonably demanding and costly on development time. A highly needed feature like this could open the doors to more skinned mesh avatar games

7 Likes

Make this happen, it will save a lot more time than re-uploading a packet of unnecessary textures.

6 Likes

This feature is still needed and has not been added 5 years later.

The lack of a Color3 property of a MeshPart’s texture has caused multiple issues in the past for me, and it is the sole reason I cannot enable MeshPart accessories and 3D clothing to my game with 13M+ visits due to its customization system that allows players to change the colors of their accessories.

This feature has been implemented years ago to decals, textures, legacy meshes, classic clothing, and virtually every other image type too. I consider legacy meshes to almost be superior to MeshParts because it has this basic yet necessary feature.

I’m not sure if this feature was just overlooked, or if there’s some sort of engine complication preventing it from being added, but it is absolutely essential for this feature to be added to Studio.

10 Likes

This is an essential feature. I’m tired of reuploading many different colors of the same image.

I really hope this is added in the future.

6 Likes

Just ran into this issue myself, having to upload a new texture just to have a different color. Considering this already exists on a Texture instance, would make it easy also having it on MeshParts!

4 Likes

Players tend to ask me why they aren’t able to customize their hat/hair accessory in game, when they can pretty much recolor everything else.
It’s pretty darn unpleasant to let them know it’s an engine limitation, even though there’s a workaround, which I’m not fond of.

This issue includes modeling too: having to use transparent texture shaders and color the MeshPart below said textures is something that could be easily avoided with this feature.

In conclusion, MeshParts and SurfaceAppearances really need this feature added.

6 Likes

It is beyond disappointing, and an overall bad look for Roblox’s reputation as a company, that this thread has gone on since 2017 and has been largely ignored by Roblox.

As a stockholder, I am not impressed!

6 Likes

We really need this ASAP! it’s been years and still has no light to it. Roblox can already do this with their ImageLabels and ImageButtons.

4 Likes

Roblox can change the base color of almost anything - Non-Meshpart meshes, bricks, unions, guis, you name it. Can even change the color of the water. That’s what makes it so weird that they don’t have it on meshparts…

8 Likes

This would be hugely beneficial for us.

We currently need to use a workaround for getting black and white textures to have customizable colors but its not 100% perfect.

6 Likes

hows does this work exactly. :thinking:. When I put the special mesh into the meshpart, it just stays a meshpart.

1 Like

The SpecialMesh has the Mesh and Texture of the original MeshPart, the SpecialMesh being parented to a Part.

1 Like

The same way SurfaceAppearances do. You parent the SpecialMesh to a Part. The Part gives collision, while the SpecialMesh gives visual data. The only issue is that they are half deprecated. There are a bunch of features unavailable to MeshParts like color manipulation in this topic, or the ability to easily load them during gameplay using an assetid. The same way SpecialMeshes lack lots of new features like not having any collision data and I don’t think SurfaceAppearances work on them (need to update studio to check).

2 Likes

In your first post, you mentioned putting the SpecialMesh into the Meshpart and it will maintain proper collisions which Im assuming you meant that it keeps the collisions of the Meshpart. Attached is a picture of the set up. But for me, nothing happens. Is this what you are talking about?

OK, I tested it. SpecialMeshes sadly don’t work with MeshParts.

1 Like

Why on earth is this still a problem? 2008 called, they want their basic game development feature back.

6 Likes

Roblox acknowledged this feature request in another thread, hopefully more info comes soon.

5 Likes

This is my second day looking at MeshParts. Honestly, feeling a bit dumb here. Why can’t we just change the MeshPart’s color? I’m clearly missing the use case. I have an axe. It is white. I change the MeshPart’s color. Now, it is a red axe.

-Just trying to understand better.
Thanks

2 Likes